VMware Cloud Community
Pedromiguel2419
Contributor
Contributor

Backup Solution: From Vcenter - NAS -Other Server (Disaster Recovery).

Hello,

We are trying to implement a backup solution. This is the scenario: We have a server with a ESXI 6.0 and VCenter. There are three hosts running on it (three Virtual Machines on each host). This is the production side.

We have a NAS and another server running ESXI 6.0 in the disaster recovery side. 

What we want is first, to backup three critical servers from the production side, to the NAS (wich is, again, in the disaster recovery side) and then restore them to the server located in in the disaster recovery side.

I would appreciate some ideas.

Thank you in advance and my apologies for my english.

4 Replies
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi there and welcome to the community Smiley Happy

Just wondering what you are really trying to achieve - if it is simply to have a second copy of the VMs then I would look at running vSphere replication to see if this meets your requirements: VMware vSphere Replication Documentation

If you are trying to implement a backup strategy with having offsite VM level backups then there are products which can achieve this for you. Rather than mentioning names of products, I would just recommend you search for "vmware backup and replication solutions" in your favorite search engine and a number of solutions will appear Smiley Wink

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Pedromiguel2419
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Backup Solution: From Vcenter - NAS -Other Server (Disaster Recovery).

Thank you,

Ok, here is what I did:

I created a ISCSI in the NAS (It is a QNAP), I mean target and LUN. Then in the Vcenter, I made the settings in order to see the the LUN. Everything seems to be fine but when I try to add Storage, no LUN appears, so I can't add it..

I created the VMKernels, the Software adapter, and in static discovery set up the Target and iSCSI Server Location correctly.

I appreciate any help.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Pedromiguel2419
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry I didn't explain well why i wanted to create a LUN in the SAn and add storage in the Vcenter. I am trying to add some storage from the SAN and then create a datastore in the Vcenter, once I do this, I will implement the VDP and backup the data to the new DATASTORE create from the SAN.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi there,

Let's confirm a couple of things while trying to troubleshoot this  Smiley Happy

• Can you confirm that the QNAP is on the same subnet as the VMkernel port used for iSCSI on the ESXi host?
  • Can you confirm that within the QNAP that you masked the LUN through to the iSCSI Target you created?
  • Can you also confirm that only ESXi hosts have access to the iSCSI Target and LUN?

Kind regards.

0 Kudos