VMware Cloud Community
ace02000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Backup Problem with CommVault Simpana 9 SP3

Hey,

I have a problem with back up my virtual guests over CommVault Simpana 9 SP3. Every time I try to back up a vSphere 5 VM I got following Error from Galaxy Server: Description: Unable to download the VMX file for Virtual Machine [VM].  Please consult http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1019286 for additional information.

I opened a support case some weeks ago but they can't help me till now.

This error happen within an HA Cluster, other vCenter, directly over vSphere Client ... every time. I have no successfull backup since I upgrade or servers to vSphere5.

Is there any solution?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
rsicilia
Expert
Expert

There isn't solution... only workaround are possibles.
Can you test the backup job using the ESX host like a connection target?

Rocco Sicilia [aka: BrC] - http://www.roccosicilia.it - VTSP 4-5, VCP 4-5, vExpert 2013/2014
0 Kudos
ace02000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

but with vSphere 4 everything worked fine?!

With the ESXi Host as connection target it won't work too.

0 Kudos
mopo
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I am getting the same problem.

I have a ticket open with commvault and they are escalating it but I need a solution asap.

If you find a solution please post!

Are you using vcb or vstorage backups?

P

0 Kudos
ace02000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

do you have an Windows 2008 Server as Proxy-Server? We upgraded our Proxy Server to 2008 and some backups works fine now (but we got an other error with some backup jobs).

0 Kudos
andershansendk
Contributor
Contributor

I have seen this if the user commvault uses in vcenter does not have enough permissions. "Backup operator" is not enough, try giving the user the "administrator"-role.

Blog: www.vperformance.org
0 Kudos
mopo
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah commvault thought that might be the issue but my vsa runs as an administrator on the vc server.

CV support have told me to upgrade my vsa server box to win 2008 so I am in the process of doing that.

0 Kudos
ace02000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

do it! It works fine with 2008 with us

0 Kudos
Totopolis
Contributor
Contributor

Got the same issue after upgrading to SP8a. Media agent/commserve works on 2008 R2.

0 Kudos