VMware Cloud Community
pesinet
Contributor
Contributor

Backup Exec 2010 and vSphere 4 erros when backup a DC!!

Hello people,

I get this error when BE try to backup a DC:

DC Backup -- The job failed with the following error: Unable to create a snapshot of the virtual machine. The virtual machine may be too busy to quiesce to take the snapshot.

I disable the VCB SYNC Drive, restart the VM Tools but still get the same error. I check the vCenter and successful create it and delete it the snapshot. The funny thing is when I try to restore the VM, the restore is successful.

Any idea will be appreciate.

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello.

This is an unsupported backup approach by Microsoft, and the consistency of these backups would certainly leave me feeling uncomfortable. If you have an inconsistent backup and then a corrupt directory AND Microsoft ultimately refuses you support - that is just going to be a bad day(s). I tend to just backup the system state on DCs and then backup that up somewhere else or some other way. There may be specific agents for BackupExec that can be used to leverage a consistent backup of Active Directory as well.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
davemayo
Contributor
Contributor

I had this same issue this resolved it for me;

Go to your backup job;

Select Selections, under VMWare vCenter and ESX Servers I noticed "Discovered Virtual Machines" sub menu appeared which was not there before and none of my VM's were selected because of this.

I then went to view selection details and deleted what was there and reselected the Virtual Machines, this time under "Discovered Virtual Machines", I ran the backup job again and that solved the issue.

I'm sorry I just reread your post and I am using the Active Directory Backup Agent not, VCB.

0 Kudos
gucluozbek
Contributor
Contributor

You can see the same "Discoverd Virtual Machines" at vcenter "vms and templates" you can move the vms from Discovered Virtual Machines to your cluster or datastore.And delete "Discoverd Virtual Machines" at vcenter after that you will see the Backup Exec will show normal.

0 Kudos
mediawide
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

we got the same error while using Backup Exc 2010, after that i used system state backup. i also use acronis backup it will take backup sucessfully.

Thanks

Durgesh Dubey

0 Kudos