VMware Cloud Community
christip
Contributor
Contributor

Backup Cannot be performed while VDP Server is in Admin state

After a few days of good VDP working i noticed in the event viewer several errors like this:
VDP: Appliance has changed from Full Access to
Read Only.  Backup functionality is no longer available
VDP: Appliance has changed from Read Only to
Full Access. Backups and restores should be fully
functional.
VDP: Appliance has changed from Full Access to
Admin.  Backup functionality is no longer
available.
VDP: Appliance has changed from Admin to Read
Only.  Backup functionality is no longer available.
and now i'm again in Admin, and any type of Backup fails.
How can I go back to "Full Access" and set the system so that i never end up in Read-Only or Admin State? And  what they mean?
Thanks in Advance
7 Replies
criver
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

In your VDP appliance,

Integrity check validation is OK?

0 Kudos
christip
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Criver, Thank You for reply.

From Reports Tab in my VDP Aplliance the "Integrity Check Status" is set to Normal;
In "Task Console" the VDP:Integrity Check report the following:

VDP: Integrity Check cp.2012122210020 completed.

Was also created a validated checkpoint (in Rollback Tab of Administration Web Client) with checkpoint tag cp.2012122210020.

This is the last message regards VDP Appliance Status (from vSphere Client "VDP Events")

available.
error
22/12/2012 12.01.06
vSphere Data Protection
root

In attachment there's the screenshot of VDP Reports Tab at actual state.

I don't know which is the right direction to solve the problem... All Backup Jobs have failed.

0 Kudos
criver
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.

Manual backup is OK?

Your Backup Jobs Errors are All Automatic ?

If so, According to Knowledge Base Number 2016565,

Each VDP appliance can simultaneously back up a maximum of eight virtual machines.

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2016565

Could you take Automatic backup jobs within eight  virtual machines ?

Regards.

0 Kudos
christip
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you, but

it's impossible to perform manual backup; when i try manual backup is displayed the following message (screenshot in attachment):

"A backup cannot be performed while the VDP server is in the following state: Admin"

"Obviously" one of the last events was:

available.
error
26/12/2012 12.06.32
vSphere Data Protection
root

Anyway, i have at maximum 4 simultaneously VM in my Backup Job and i have one Backup Job at day.

I suppose that i should put the state of the VDP server in "Full Access" the only one that allow backups and restore, but how can I do that?

Regards.

0 Kudos
criver
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

"Appliance Status: Normal" could be performed.

You should start Integrity check by compulsion.

Regards.

0 Kudos
GOKMuseum
Contributor
Contributor

I ran into a similar issue yesterday with the my VDP appliance being stuck in state Admin.  After cobbling together little snippets from different disparate areas of the interwebs, I was able to get my system running again.

The key is opening an SSH session to your appliance and using the dpnctl command.  This set of steps worked for me:

1) Open an SSH session to VDP using putty or similar, login as root.

2) Type 'dpnctl status'.  This will show you a list of VDP services that are or aren't running.  In my case it told me that my gsan was running in a state of 'degraded'.

3) If a service is started but degraded, use dpnctl to stop the service.  If it needs to stop, type 'dpnctl stop gsan' (or 'dpnctl stop MCS' or whatever, you can also do 'dpnctl stop all').

4) Now start the service(s) in question with 'dpnctl start gsan' (or 'dpnctl start all').

That's all I needed.  Hope this helps!

P.S.  Since VMware's VDP appears to be a rebrand of a former EMC product called AVAMAR, a lot of the info about VDP command line can be found if you search for AVAMAR commands.  Note to VMware: if would be super helpful if you'd put more VDP documentation online, especially related to the command line.  It looks like a lot of people are frustrated not because it's a bad product, but because you don't have enough documentation available to empower us to fix this stuff ourselves.  Just my $0.02.

evelrin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Check the time at which the event occurs. In my case, it coincides with the start of the maintenance mode. I think you can ignore to this event.

0 Kudos