VMware Cloud Community
davidfoley
Contributor
Contributor

Backing up SQL

Hi All having an issue with trying to get the VDP backing up my SQL Databases

I installed the plugin on my SQL Server we are running Microsoft SQL 2012 Server on a Windows Server 2012

when i try and create a New Backup job on Applications and select Microsoft SQL Server it gives me an Error message

"There are no registered Microsoft SQL Server available. The group has been removed."

0 Kudos
7 Replies
martinriley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi there,

Try running the VDP agent on the SQL server as a local or domain admin, or make sure admin credentials are used to connect to the SQL Server.

Hope this helps.

vM

-----------------------

VCAP-DCD / VCAP-DCA / VCP-CLOUD / VCP-DT / VCP5 / VCP4

-----------------------

vMustard.com

0 Kudos
virtualltoast
Contributor
Contributor

a few things:

1. did you have any issues with the installation of the agent on the database engine server?  if so then uninstall and reinstall and make sure there are no errors

2. check to see if the sql server is registered on the vdp appliance: here's how

a. open a putty station to the appliance (or you can open the console)

b. putty needs to login as admin, might want to up your privileges by typing 'su root' and enter root password when prompted

c. use mccli to show registered clients, type 'mccli client show --recursive=true'

d. check the list to see if the sql server is registered (if not then this is the problem)

e. you could delete the registration and try again to see if the agent installation registers the client with vdp

f. if you decide to do this then note that this will make any backups made on that device inaccessible

i. uninstall the agent

ii. check on vdp to make sure the client is still there

iii. type 'mccli client delete --domain=/clients/VDPApps --name=vmname.domain.com  (enter the server name as vdp displays it for vmname.domain.com)

iv. check to make sure it is deleted

g. re-install the agent on the server

h. check in vdp again to see if you have your server listed as a client

you should have enough here to get you somewhere.  post your results

good luck

shawn

0 Kudos
virtualltoast
Contributor
Contributor

just to clarify step 'f', my experience has been, if you delete a registered client in vdp using the mccli command, then any backups that were made in vdp on that client, prior to the deletion, will not be accessible after the deletion.  so in vdp, in the restore tab, any backups of that server will disappear after the deletion.  however, any new backups made after the deletion of the client and the resolution of your problem will work fine and will be available for restore.

i was having an issue where during the installation of the agent on one of my sql servers, the installer would error out stating cannot register client with the vdp appliance.  after checking further in the vdp shell i found that the problem sql server had already been registered in vdp, deleted it, reinstalled the agent, it registered fine (no errors) and everything was good from there.

shawn

0 Kudos
SavkoorSuhas
Expert
Expert

In addition to that, can you verify if port 28001 is open? Because I had seen an instance where a trace-route was done, and the traffic was not passing beyond this as firewall was configured. When port 28001 was opened we were able to see SQL server in the list and backup was possible.

Suhas

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.

Don't Backup. Go Forward!
Rubrik

0 Kudos
jammyrose
Contributor
Contributor

i think u might have gone wrong with the configuration. if you would have followed the steps correctly then the database can be backed up. just check once again the procedure. that might help. regards factsd.com

0 Kudos
factoflife
Contributor
Contributor

i think u might have gone wrong with the configuration. if you would have followed the steps correctly then the database can be backed up. just check once again the procedure. that might help. regards factoflife

0 Kudos
LanaMoore
Contributor
Contributor

Microsoft SQL Server 2016  delivers breakthrough in-memory performance, unparalleled security, end-to-end mobile BI and advanced analytics.

romantic love quotes for her

0 Kudos