VMware Cloud Community
Stevester
Contributor
Contributor

Any new email notification techniques - VDR 1.2

Good Day Everyone,

VDR 1.2 seems to be working quite well for the moment. I have seen some of the other email notification proposals. Since VMware still hasn't implemented email notification in their VDR 1.2 product, has anyone else come up with any clever ways to perform email notification when a backup job finishes.

Also, does anyone know of any open source vmware backup utilities which have surfaced recently, namely that perform data dedeplication.

Thanks

Stevester

0 Kudos
2 Replies
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

Email functionality should have been a no-brainer for VMware, some time it's the little things that are over looked.

I think probably the best way for notification is what is already out there, by parsing the logs and having some cronjob run and email both successful or un-successful backup jobs. The other thing that you could also do is since vDR has a web server running, you can also parse or just directly copy the logs over to your own custom URL path and have some external system pull the logs via simple HTTP get, that was something I had tried out while playing with vDR.

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009,2010

VMware scripts and resources at:

Twitter: @lamw

Getting Started with the vMA (tips/tricks)

Getting Started with the vSphere SDK for Perl

VMware Code Central - Scripts/Sample code for Developers and Administrators

VMware Developer Community

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
Stevester
Contributor
Contributor

You can use incron which is a variation of the cron command. Incron can be used when the operations_log.utx file is closed by the VDR appliance after modifications are made to it.

Thanks

Stevester

0 Kudos