VMware Cloud Community
Novakl
Contributor
Contributor

All backup jobs are failing - getJobError... ???

Hello,

I´m running vSphere Data Protection 5.1. and I have a "little" problem that needs to be solved.

All my backup jobs are failing and I can´t find out why.

When I look into /usr/local/avamar/var/mc/server_log/ , there are 49 files named "mcserver.log.1", "mcserver.log.2"... "mcserver.log.49".

And there are some parts of them I found interesting and might be helpful (they´re repeating, probably in all of these logs):

FINE: mcdbPool: Freeing 1342263456 caller = com.avamar.mc.datatap.MCDataAccessObject.getJobErrorCodeCounts#9243

FINE: mcdbPool: Freeing 1342263456 caller = com.avamar.mc.datatap.MCDataAccessObject.getJobErrorCodeCounts#9223

WARNING: com.avamar.mc.sdk.McsFaultMsgException: E22289: Retention policy does not exist.

Does anybody know how to make it work again?

2 Replies
GSparks
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Good morning -

Two places to start when looking for jobs that are failing.

First of all, you can go to /usr/local/avamar/var/vdr/server_logs/vdr-server.log.

Within this log you can find entries by your VM name or the backup job name.

Secondly, you can go to /usr/local/avamarclient/var-proxy-X and look for the file named "JobName-vmimageY.log"

The best way to figure out what "X" is in the var-proxy directory is to go to the avamarclient directory and do 'ls -ltR | less'  and then search look for the job you ran.  Once you know the directory, go look at the JobName-vmimageY.log. "Y" would be either an 'l' for Linux backup or 'w' for windows backup.

These two should give you an idea of why the backups are failing.

Greg

-Greg Sparks
markokobal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Gret post, GSparks! This should be a part of official VDP documentation!

-- Kind regards, Marko. VCP5
0 Kudos