VMware Cloud Community
s_nnm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

what does the limitation of 2 vCPUs in the VS 7-ESP-KIT-C license mean?

The HA mechanism is provided for this license. There is a limit of 2vCPU

Let's say we have deployed a HA cluster on 2 physical hosts, each of which has 2 physical 28 core processors. External storage.
Both physical hosts are active
The first one has 3 virtual servers deployed
1. One virtual server with 10 virtual processors,
2. One virtual with 1 virtual processor
3. one virtual with 2 virtual processors.

1 virtual server with 3 virtual processors is deployed on the second physical server.

The first physical server of the HA cluster failed.
QUESTIONS:
1. Which of the three virtual servers will be transferred automatically within the HA cluster to the second physical one and run there?
2. according to the license, will I be able to create a virtual server with more than 2 vCPUs at all?

the technical support of the first line could not answer this questions and advised me to contact here

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes, as mentioned, the limitation is only for FT-enabled VMs. Other VMs can have as many vCPUs as you want.

Andé

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

If HA is enabled on the cluster, HA will protect as many VMs as possible (depending on the remaining host's resources).

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Each HOST license is for 2 physical CPU sockets when you use a vSphere Essentials Plus license, that has nothing to do with the number of processors you assign to your VMs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
s_nnm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

it is clear that the license is given for physical processors. The fact is that there are various restrictions in the extended information on the components of a particular license. In particular, opposite the "HA" component is 2vCPU or 8vCPU, depending on the type of license. it is this limitation that the technical support could not explain to me transparently. That's why I gave a laboratory example and I'm interested in how the HA mechanism will work before buying a license?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Where are you seeing that information exactly?

A link and screenshot will help others to help you.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
s_nnm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

the seller was also not quite accurate in his answer. I found the difference between the original brochure and the regional one. in the original brochure vCPU refers only to the Fault tolerance component, which is not in the desired version. Can you answer the 2 questions from the starting topic that stand after the word QUESTIONS for the specified license version?

s_nnm_9-1637602092278.png

s_nnm_8-1637602007814.png

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The vCPU limitation  only applies to VM's that you want to use Fault Tolerance for, which btw. is not included in Essentials+ anyway.

André

0 Kudos
s_nnm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ок. according to the license VS 7-ESP-KIT-C, will I be able to create a virtual server with more than 2 vCPUs?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes, as mentioned, the limitation is only for FT-enabled VMs. Other VMs can have as many vCPUs as you want.

Andé

0 Kudos
s_nnm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ок. last question. HA without FT in the starting example, how will it work?1. Which of the three virtual servers will be transferred automatically within the HA cluster to the second physical one and run there?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

If HA is enabled on the cluster, HA will protect as many VMs as possible (depending on the remaining host's resources).

André

0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hello.
As I see the tables that our are from a Russian Web, it is always advisable to compare with the official VMware information.

High Availability (HA)
Automatically restarts your VMs following physical machine failure
In HA is a feature that depends on the physical capabilities of each server such as CPU, memory and disk.

Fault Tolerance
Provides continuous availability of any application in the event of a hardware failure - with no data loss or downtime.

VSphere Essentials Plus kit has HA, but no Fault tolerance

links:

VMware vSphere Compute Virtualization Licencias, precios y paquetes

https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/products/vsphere/vmware-vsphere-pr...

COMPARE VMWARE vSPHERE ESSENTIALS KITS

https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/vsphere/vmw-flyr-vspherecomparekit...

Здравствуйте.
Как я вижу, таблицы, которые вы получили с российского сайта, всегда рекомендуется сравнивать с официальной информацией VMware.

Высокая доступность (HA)
Автоматически перезапускает виртуальные машины после сбоя физической машины.
HA - это функция, которая зависит от свободных физических мощностей каждого сервера, таких как процессор, память и диск.

Fault Tolerance
Обеспечивает непрерывную доступность любого приложения в случае отказа оборудования, без потери данных или времени бездействия.

vSphere Essentials Plus Kit имеет HA, но не Fault Tolerance

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos
s_nnm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, thanks. That's what I figured. Thanks to scott28tt, who gave me this idea, and a_p_
, who confirmed me in understanding.

Thanks to the helpers

0 Kudos