VMware Cloud Community
jedijeff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vmotion from one HA cluster to another--nonshared storage

I was attempting to vmotion both host and datastore of a vm between HA clusters(non-shared storage). The web client gives me this warning and i am curious what it is talking about:

If this operation is performed, the virtual machine will lose vSphere HA protection. If you proceed with this operation and it completes successfully, vSphere HA will not attempt to restart the VM after a subsequent failure. vSphere HA protection will be restored when any network partitions or disk accessibility issues are resolved..

HA is functioning in both clusters, in terms of network and datastore heartbeats. So what exactly is this message telling me Smiley Happy thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MKguy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I'm getting the same warning when shared-nothing migrating a VM between two clusters and I'm selecting a destination datastore that is inaccessible from the source host. If I select a different datastore that is shared by both clusters, no such warning pops up.

This warning is probably thrown because the vMotion assumes it will stay within the same cluster and is checking whether source and destination host can access the same datastore. As the datastore (and HA agent config) is not shared between your source and destination hosts residing in different clusters, it seems like the vMotion compatibility check assumes it's a local datastore or something like that.

However, once migrated into the new cluster, the FDM HA agents should pick the new VM up just fine and protect it according to your cluster HA settings, so nothing to worry about here.

-- http://alpacapowered.wordpress.com

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MKguy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I'm getting the same warning when shared-nothing migrating a VM between two clusters and I'm selecting a destination datastore that is inaccessible from the source host. If I select a different datastore that is shared by both clusters, no such warning pops up.

This warning is probably thrown because the vMotion assumes it will stay within the same cluster and is checking whether source and destination host can access the same datastore. As the datastore (and HA agent config) is not shared between your source and destination hosts residing in different clusters, it seems like the vMotion compatibility check assumes it's a local datastore or something like that.

However, once migrated into the new cluster, the FDM HA agents should pick the new VM up just fine and protect it according to your cluster HA settings, so nothing to worry about here.

-- http://alpacapowered.wordpress.com
jedijeff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you.

0 Kudos