VMware Cloud Community
scooter_
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

move Management Network to another Switch?

After Creating hosts in cluster, the Hosts Say there is no management network redundancy -

After I setup the Hosts I created three Virtual Switches besides vSwitch0. I used the remaining 5 NICs for the other Three vSwitches.

Now I would like to Move the Management Network that is on vSwitch0 to to vSwitch1 and then Move the Physical NIC on vSwitch0 to vSwitch1 and then just Dump vSwitch0.   There are no other VMs that use vSwitch0, though there are several that use the other vSwitches

Is there a preferred way to do this?

Thanks!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Now I would like to Move the Management Network that is on vSwitch0 to to vSwitch1

Is there a specific reason for you to move the Management Network to vSwitch1? Or is that becasue of the warning message

the Hosts Say there is no management network redundancy

This is warning message which can be ignored if you wish to supress the message see KB1004700

If you wish to move the management network, i would suggest to create a second Management Network on vSwitch1, then remove the Management Network on vSwitch0 and remove the uplink and add the uplink to vSwitch2

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Now I would like to Move the Management Network that is on vSwitch0 to to vSwitch1

Is there a specific reason for you to move the Management Network to vSwitch1? Or is that becasue of the warning message

the Hosts Say there is no management network redundancy

This is warning message which can be ignored if you wish to supress the message see KB1004700

If you wish to move the management network, i would suggest to create a second Management Network on vSwitch1, then remove the Management Network on vSwitch0 and remove the uplink and add the uplink to vSwitch2

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind
0 Kudos
scooter_
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm just new to this.  I thought the Managment network needed two Physical NICs in its vSwitch. Since I had no more Physical NICs left I wanted to put the Management Net on one of the other vSwitches that had more than one NIC.

Looks as though it wanted Multiple Managment Networks across multiple vSwitches?

After Moving them to the other vSwitch and then removing the first vSwitch0, then realizing that was not what it ment by redundancy, I created a new vSwitch0 Again, Created a Management netwotk and associated an IP address with it again.

So I again have vSwitch0 and vSwitch1, now both have Management networks with IP addresses associated with them.

Now the part I dont know how to fix is that in the Adding/Removing the vSwitches and IP addresses, the Primary Addresses that I wanted to use are not the ones that are displayed in vCenter Server?  How do I show the IPs of the 'Master' Managment Network?

Thanks,

Scott<-

0 Kudos
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Do you mean to say that you want to remove the Managenet Network IP from vSwitch2?

Can you als post the screenshot of Networking screen?

0 Kudos
scooter_
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Here is what I have right now for the networking. You can see I added a Management Net to the vSwitch1. In the Process of doing that, my two Host machines changed from 10.19.128.24x to 10.19.128.25x in the Inventory on the Left. I'm pretty sure it does not really matter, though I wanted them to show with the name of hte Server, or with the IP Address the customer Expects.

Thanks!

ESXi-Network.JPG

ESXi-Inventory.JPG

0 Kudos