Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

error when configuring ha

hello i get this error when i try to enable ha:

Configuring HA
Cannot complete the configuration of the HA agent on the host. Misconfiguration
in the host network setup
we recently changed our network architecture so that we now have two core switches. we use VRRP for ha and load balancing between the two cores.
the old defualt gateway address for all vlans is now used as the VRRP address. the VRRP address is not pingable. so the vmkernel default gateway address for the management network is not pingable.
i assume this is the reason for the error but not 100% sure.
thanks in advance any insight would be appreciated.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

If the default gateway is not pingable you can set das.isolationaddress to another (reliable) IP address on the network. see http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1006421

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Are your port groups and vSwitches consistent across all ESX hosts in the cluster?

You can test by vMotioning VMs on each portgroup to all nodes in the cluster and seeing whether you get any error messages.

Also, the VMkernel ping is used to help identify whether the host is up or not - it would be worth eliminating this problem to help resolve the source of your issue.

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
chaz112182
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

port groups and switches are consistent. the only thing that has changed is the network.

does the gateway address of the vmkernel need to be pingable for HA to work?    

i can ping the vmkernal address w/out a problem i just can't ping the vmkernel gateway address.

thanks for the response.     

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

If the default gateway is not pingable you can set das.isolationaddress to another (reliable) IP address on the network. see http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1006421

André

0 Kudos
chaz112182
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ok thanks i will give that a try. i apprecaite the response.

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Please let us know how you get on.

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
chaz112182
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

i was able to modify the vrrp configuration on my switches so that the default gateway address is pingable.

thanks again for the responses.

cheers.

0 Kudos