VMware Cloud Community
Sebra
Contributor
Contributor

[bug] vcenter 7.0 HA mode - network selection empty

Hello, 

I am trying to configure my first vcenter HA mode (in version 7.0) and when I tried to select the HA network, the list is empty...

I have created a dedicated network group for the HA network and I am in Standard vswitch.

I have only 2 ESXi (for te moment) on this new architecture, one with the current vcenter 7.0 and 1 on another site (so another subnet) where I want to put the passive vcenter VM

Wizard : 

Sebra_0-1607939735573.png

When I click on Browse : 

Sebra_1-1607939745647.png

Any idea ? 😕

Thank you in advance

0 Kudos
14 Replies
vmrale
Expert
Expert

Hi,

could you attach a screenshot of this vSwitch configuration where you have configured vCenter HA Network portgroup?

Which port group vCenter Server eth0 interface is connected to?

Regards
Radek

If you think your question have been answered correctly, please consider marking it as a solution or rewarding me with kudos.
0 Kudos
Sebra
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Sebra_0-1607953203574.png

Sebra_1-1607953214148.png

Sebra_2-1607953222825.png

Sebra_3-1607953233429.png

eth0 is linked to a network group in vlan 132 and I have created another network group in another vlan for the HA but not attached it to the VM.

I have created a similar network group (same name) on the other ESX (like it is 2 sites in vcenter it is in 2 different datacenters)

0 Kudos
vmrale
Expert
Expert

I think you are thinking correctly, but you've done some small mistake with port group configuration which I don't see from the screenshots you attached. BTW they show vSwitch configuration that is not an issue here.

The most complete guide I found is here. https://www.vembu.com/blog/configure-high-availability-in-vmware-vcenter-server-6-7/

It's made for 6.7 version, but it's quite universal and shows a port group configuation steps.

Read it carefully. I hope it will help you.

Regards
Radek

If you think your question have been answered correctly, please consider marking it as a solution or rewarding me with kudos.
0 Kudos
Sebra
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Maybe I didn't understand correctly how vCenter HA works.

How I would like to do : 

2 vcenter in HA mode in two separate physical data center.

So I have created added 2 ESXi (in v 7.0) to a new vcenter 7.0.
Both ESXi are in separate folders & vmware datacenters.
No shared storage or switch distributed implemented.

Is it doable ?

Thank you in advance,

Seb

0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

Hi,

Did you review the VCHA requirements and also its related FAQ?

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos
Sebra
Contributor
Contributor

Hi NathanosBlightc,

Yes I reviewed it and a lot of documentation and cannot find any answers...

For the network part only this is indicated :

Network connectivity
vCenter HA network latency between Active, Passive, and Witness nodes must be less than 10 ms.
The vCenter HA network must be on a different subnet than the management network

Thats'all...
Nothing indicate how to create a network group or a specific vswitch config 😣

0 Kudos
Sebra
Contributor
Contributor

Additional information :

I am still searching when I have a downtime and I noticed today that when I go to the vcenter (in the top of the arborescence), the "Networks" tab is empty... maybe it is linked ?

Sebra_1-1608112582851.png

0 Kudos
vmrale
Expert
Expert

Hi,

Something is wrong. You should see any port group (network names) created on vSwitches on hosts which are connected. Are they really connected?

Focus on properly configuring new port group. https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/7.0/com.vmware.vsphere.networking.doc/GUID-004E2D69-1EE8-4...

Keep consistent port group names on all hosts. Upper an lower letters used in names matter.

If it is properly configured you can see it on Networks tab when a host is selected on the left side (Navigator pane).

Regards
Radek

0 Kudos
Sebra
Contributor
Contributor

Hi 

Sorry for the late reply, holidays... lol

Cool.. at least you confirm that what I though... I can see the port group on the ESXi and they are connected, because the VM for the vcenter is on this ESXi and I can access it (https), but I cannot see it on the vcenter "network" tab...

Maybe I will rebuild the vcenter... there is something wrong somewhere I don't know where

0 Kudos
Sebra
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I have created a new vcenter, added a new ESXi to it, and I can see the networks in "Network tab".

I had a 💡... and I have started to play with the arborescence.

When I put the ESXi into a datacenter, I can still see all networks in "Network tab".

But when I have my arborescence : / root / folder / Datacenter / ESXi

I cannot see all networks in "Network tab"....

Is it "forbidden" to have an arborescence like that? I would like to have / Country(folder) / Site(datacenter) / ESXi

Thank you in advance for your help

0 Kudos
vmrale
Expert
Expert

Hi,

it's kind of strange. I've never seen a situation you described, but you never know and it's never late to learn. 🙂

vCenter's inventory hierarchy and permissions inheritance looks like in this article:

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/7.0/com.vmware.vsphere.security.doc/GUID-03B36057-B38C-479...

Maybe you have some issues with permissions to objects in vCenter's inventory.

What user you use to log in to vCenter?

Regards
Radek

0 Kudos
Sebra
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

First, thank you for your reply 😉 it is very weird I am the only one in this case...

I have tried with an AD account as withe role "Administrator" on the top of the arborescence
Same when I use the user administrator@vsphere.local

And same when I use a "fresh" vcenter deployed from the wizard ... so without any option (as administrator@vsphere.local)

So I think it is a bug in the new release... I am waiting for the renewal of the maintenance to open a ticket on vmware website

Regards,
Seb

0 Kudos
vmrale
Expert
Expert

Hi,

have you got any hints from VMware GSS about your case?

Regards
Radek

0 Kudos
Sebra
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Yes I had a call yesterday with the support.

So it is normal and by design, only hosts directly below vcenters (not in a folder) will fill "Network" tab on the vcenter global view...

What a pity 😞 !

So thanks for people who try to help... maybe in another version of vcenter the tab "Network" will be filled like others tabs (Datastore for example), even if hosts are inside a folder.

Seb

Tags (1)
0 Kudos