VMware Cloud Community
idiriasl
Contributor
Contributor

Zero downtime (2 remote SAN) alternatives

Hello,

Continuing my quest for a solution I have many questions now. I have two centers each with a SAN. One of the centers is running a server with multiple applications requiring different databases that are stored on its own center's SAN. If a power shortage occurs I would like the other center to take control on its server and the Terminal Server associated connections users crteated. I would like zero downtime and I consider I need this:

* VMWare FT: How big (vCPUs and vRAM) can be the machine and what bandwidth and overhead on the hosts should I expect?.Can I maintain a mirror of the SAN on both centers so the "slave" machine reads data from its own SAN if a failure happen? How is this configured through vSphere?.

On the other hand, I have read about thrid party alternatives that could be cheaper than this like NeverFail, but there seems to be a considerable lack on information or support apart from the official one which scares me a bit. Have you got any other suggestions about third party alternatives or vMware approaches?.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
depping
Leadership
Leadership

I would suggest you start with reading the basics: http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-50/index.jsp?topic=/com.vmware.vsphere.avail.doc_50/GUID-7525F8DD-9B8...

On top of that, you are looking to do FT across sites using replication but not a stretched storage cluster solution? You might want to delve in to details for stretch clustering as well.

0 Kudos