VMware Cloud Community
dkotwal
Contributor
Contributor

When is event 'VM restarted on alternate host' generated?

I am trying to setup an alarm which would be triggered when event 'VM restarted on alternate host' is generated.

My expectation is that this event would occur when a VM is failed over to the alternate host in a HA setup. However this is not the case.

I have tried the following -

1. Reboot one of the hosts in my 2-host HA cluster setup. - VMs failover to the alternate host in the setup however above event is not generated.

2. Try to simulate VM failure (by stopping heartbeat / kernel panic etc) but this results in HA just resetting the VM without a failover.

Is my understanding that the event would be generated when VM fails over to alternate host correct?

How do I generate this event?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
junian_dani
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In your situation, you should setup an alarm with triggered event "vSphere HA restarted a virtual machine".

0 Kudos
dkotwal
Contributor
Contributor

My aim is to generate notification when ESX for a VM changes. I am already generating notifications for events 'VM Migrated' and 'VM relocating'.

The name of the event "VM restarting on alternate host" suggests that it is generated when VM switches over or fails over from one ESX to another in a HA setup.

Is this correct? If yes, how do I generate the event?

I have not been able to find any documentation explaining the event.

0 Kudos