VMware Cloud Community
RanjithKoolath
Contributor
Contributor

VmWare Fault tolerance set up

Hi Team,

I have a quick question regarding Fault tolerance set up in vmware .

Scenario:

I have an environment with 22 servers and need to set up FT for it.

Requirement:

This application requires same IPs to be retained on both DCs \ clusters in vmware.

Plan to Implement:

1. Set up same same infrastructure in both clusters (this includes IPs, cpu, ram,storage etc.exactly same in both cluster). Lets call the clusters as DC-1 & DC-2. Then, shutdown the DC-2 to avoid           IP conflict.

2. Set up active-passive fail-over

3. DC-1 will always be up and syncing the data between DC-2 (which will be in shutdown mode) all the time

4. If there is a host failure in DC-1, FT will bring up the passive cluster and vms will serve the data from there

Question:

Will the above scenario work?

Any suggestions to simplify or improve this design?

Any documentation that will guide me here?

Thanks alot in advance!.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

FT does not work this way so you will have to use some sort of replication and orchestration product like SRM, Veeam, etc. if you need to have this exact scenario.

0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

What is mentioned in your scenario needs a Replication solution like VMware SRM or Veeam Backup & Replication ... but the FT works inside a single Datacenter and designed for types of disasters that maybe happened inside the datacenter (like ESXi host failure) not beyond the datacenter such as total DC failure...

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

FT only works within a cluster, not across a cluster. Requirements and limitations can be found in the vSphere documentation here:

Providing Fault Tolerance for Virtual Machines

0 Kudos