VMware Cloud Community
fatr
Contributor
Contributor

VMware FT in "Geo" cluster ?

Hi all,

I have a customer request who want to know if it is possible to use FT with 2 differents storage arrays (SAN FC connection between the 2).

I have already implement FT on a single storage arrays between 2 hosts with success but is it possible possible to do it with 2 storage arrays (like VMotion & Storage VMotion) ? Otherwise, if it's not possible, do you know other possibility/software to do it ?

Thanks in advance for your answers

B.rgds

Fabrice

0 Kudos
7 Replies
WaffleSniffer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Fabrice

Not sure that I fully understand your question...

Are you needing to enable FT on a VM, but the host that you want to hold the secondary copy is in a different location with access to a different storage array?

If so, then I can't see how this can work.  Enabling FT on a VM creates a secondary copy of the VM on another host, but the underlying disk(s) of the VM are the same for each host.  The only difference is that the primary VM actually writes to the disks whereas the disk writes for the secondary VM are suppressed by the hypervisor.

Also, don't forget that you also need a fast FT logging network between the host so the VMs can be kept in lockstep.

If you need more info about FT have a look at the following whitepaper..

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/resources/ft_virtualization_wp.pdf

Hope this helps

Waffle

0 Kudos
fatr
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Waffle,

Yes, you have well understood my question.

Thanks for your answer. This is confirmed that I was thinking.

Do you know if it was possible to do it with complementary software like "doubletake" or 'Symantec/VCS" ?

thanks

Brgds

Fabrice

0 Kudos
WaffleSniffer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Fabrice

Im afraid, that afaik there is no other solution that can provide zero downtime like FT can.  The other software solutions provide the same sort of availability as HA and the VM always ends up being restarted...

Regards

Waffle

0 Kudos
fatr
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Waffle

0 Kudos
tonyholland007
Contributor
Contributor

Yes it is possible we can do it with our SAN using "Live Volume" that will allow for 2 ESX hosts to see the same volume that his hosted on different SAN's.  Check out Compellent.com for more information.

We have a demo that allows VMotion across building or Metro Cluster providing you have the latency requirements to do so.

Tony

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

It is possible indeed, providing you have a low latency link between sites and your storage has capabilities to do this.

Duncan (VCDX)

Available now on Amazon: vSphere 4.1 HA and DRS technical deepdive

0 Kudos
WaffleSniffer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Duncan

Just so I understand for furture reference...

Are you saying that this is supported for FT?  Or at least a solution that provides zero downtime.  If so, can you point me to where I could find more info please  😃

Cheers

Waffle

0 Kudos