VMware Cloud Community
myasin0511
Contributor
Contributor

VM interface unticked (disabled) after the cold migration

Hi

We have cluster of two hosts, when the cold migration trigger on the VM (either manually or automatically), the VM network interfaces become disabled in the new host, so we have to enable the interfaces and power-on the VM.

What could cause this issue, and which log files will be useful for the investigation (what we have to look for in the log files)?

Thanks

0 Kudos
8 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

You've provided little information here. What version of vSphere? What switch type? If standard switches, are the port groups named identically across hosts?

0 Kudos
myasin0511
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

The vSphere version is 6.7, and I think standard switch type, and the port group names are identical.

Do we need the portgroup names to be identical over both hosts?

And what log files can be useful for this issue?

Thanks

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Do we need the portgroup names to be identical over both hosts?

Yes.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
myasin0511
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Any recommendations here please...

Thanks

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Not without more details.

0 Kudos
myasin0511
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

What other details are required here.

From where I can start to troubleshoot this issue, and what logs files might be useful.

Thanks

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Details like what version of ESXi or vSphere (if using vCenter)? What are your vswitches like? What are the port groups named? How did you do the cold migration? What does this example VM look like? Be creative, supply more than you think is necessary when asking others for help. Read the first post in my signature if you don't understand.

0 Kudos
myasin0511
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry for late response;

Some details about the environment:

We use ESXi 6.7U2

We have vcenter

The vSwitch is standard

vSwitch and portgroup names in both hosts are same.

Some details about the issue:

We have VM firewalls in the hosts, the migration trigger when the host machine become unavailable, so the firewalls migrate to another available host, but sometimes after the migration the firewall interfaces in the new host are disabled, so we need to enable the VM interfaces and restart the VM.

The issue is arbitrary, so sometimes the same firewall migrate successfully without issues, and sometimes the interfaces become disabled after migration.

What log files I have to look into here, and I what details I have to search in the logs to have more visibility on the issue?

Thanks

0 Kudos