zeebahi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

V Center Fault Tolerance Scenario

Hi every one,

I am trying to understand FT, please consider following examples:

Example#1

We have  a cluster with three ESXi1, ESXi2, ESXi3 with FT enabled.  VM1 is on ESXi1 and Cloned VM1 ( created by FT) is on ESxi2.

Assume  ESXi1 goes down, as a result Clone VM1 becomes active.  After a while , ESXi1 comes back online, What will happen next? Will VM1 will take back its role as Active VM or Cloned VM continue to be active while VM1 assumes Passive role? Is there any way we can tell V center  to give back the role when the original VM comes back online i.e VM1 should become active and Cloned VM1 should go back to being passive?

Example#2

We have  a cluster with three ESXi1, ESXi2, ESXi3 with FT enabled.  VM1( Active) is on ESXi1 and Cloned VM1 ( created by FT) is on ESxi2.

Assumes VM1 and Cloned VM1 are running  Windows 7.  We later upgraded   VM1( Active) to Windows 8, will  Cloned VM will also be upgraded to Windows 10 automatically?

Example#3

We have  a cluster with three ESXi1, ESXi2, ESXi3 with FT enabled.  VM1 is on ESXi1 and Cloned VM1 ( created by FT) is on ESxi2.

Assume  ESXi1 goes down, as a result Clone VM1 becomes active. We upgraded OS on  Cloned VM1 ( which is now active), will OS on VM1 ( which is now passive) be upgraded automatically?

Thanks and have a good night!!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RajeevVCP4
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Once your secondary vm act as a primary vm , it will be as primary because only fail-over done no fail back, and your primary VM will be secondary after host ESXi up.

Where-ever you upgrade OS it will synch automatically , once you try upgrade OS , you will get warning disable/off FT at the time of upgrade FT.

You required enable FT again after upgrade OS

Rajeev Chauhan
VCIX-DCV6.5/VSAN/VXRAIL
Please mark help full or correct if my answer is use full for you

View solution in original post

2 Replies
RajeevVCP4
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Once your secondary vm act as a primary vm , it will be as primary because only fail-over done no fail back, and your primary VM will be secondary after host ESXi up.

Where-ever you upgrade OS it will synch automatically , once you try upgrade OS , you will get warning disable/off FT at the time of upgrade FT.

You required enable FT again after upgrade OS

Rajeev Chauhan
VCIX-DCV6.5/VSAN/VXRAIL
Please mark help full or correct if my answer is use full for you
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Moderator: Moved to Availability: HA & FT

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos