VMware Cloud Community
SoMoS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unsupported virtual machine configuration for Fault Tolerance. The operation is not supported on the object. When activating FT

Hello,

I'm trying to activate FT on a virtual machine that as far as I know fulfils all the requirements for FT but I'm having this message when activating it. Any hint on what could be happening or where to log for extended information? This error message is too generic ...

Thanks in advance mates.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I agree, the error message is not really helpful.

For a very comprehensive list of requirements, take a look at VMware Fault Tolerance Requirements and Limitations

André

0 Kudos
SoMoS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I printed that document and followed all the requirements to my best but maybe I've forgotten something or I misunderstand something so i would like to know if there is a log where I can check what's wrong with the virtual machine configuration. I've read a post about log locations but that logs didn't contained nothing related to the activation of the FT system. So I'm a bit lost 😕

0 Kudos
SoMoS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ey, I was not able to find that KB, it was just what was happening to me but this limitation is not reflected at the documents you pointed before :? Anyway, thanks a lot mate!

0 Kudos
dhedges
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had similar issues when trying to configure FT.

Turns out that for the intial setup I needed to have my vm's powered down (AMD processors on the hosts).

It then worked fine.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
edwardob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Have you ensured that every single needed component for FT is implemented?

cpu support?

FT logging network

Intel or amd vritualization enabled in bios

Enable host certificate checking.

Do you have an floppy/cdrom iso mounted in the vm settings.

google vsp_40_availability.pdf

There is alot to FT, any slight misconfiguraiton it will not work.

0 Kudos
ferdis
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

this is on 6th page in VMware Fault Tolerance Recommendations and Considerations on VMware vSphere 4, http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/fault_tolerance_recommendations_considerations_on_vmw_vsphere4.pdf

"Turning on VMware FT for a virtual machine first requires the virtual machines’ virtual disk (VMDK) files to be

eager zeroed and thick-provisioned. During the process of turning on VMware FT, a message will state this

requirement. The message asks whether or not it should convert the virtual disk to the supported format of

eager-zeroed and thick-provisioned. The user must convert the virtual disk at this time in order to proceed

with turning on VMware FT. Alternatively, the user may wish to convert the virtual disks before they turn on

VMware FT to allow for a quicker VMware FT turn-on process at a later time. So, thin-provisioned or lazyzeroed

disks could be converted during off-peak times "

If you found this helpful, please click on Helpful. Smiley Happy

Frantisek

0 Kudos