VMware Cloud Community
CasGas
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Starting vCenter on different host while powered off

Hi,

I have 4 esx 4.1 hosts mananged with 1 VC running on 1 of those hosts.

I upgraded this environment with 4 new esx 4.1 hosts (more memory etc.) but the cpu options are not the same, so I cannot vmotion the guests that are running on it. I have to power down every guest and just restart them on the new hosts. I can manage this with VC, but how can I restart the VC, I have to power down this guest and normally I could migratie it, but since it's the VC itself, I am a bit lost how to go about this the right way, any suggestions?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

power it off

go to the command line of the host

register the vm

power it on

http://www.yellow-bricks.com/2011/11/16/esxi-commandline-work/

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you can log into the ESXi Host in which the vCenter VM is registered on and power cycle the guest that way.  Just point your vSphere Client to the hostname and IP address of the ESXi Host

0 Kudos
CasGas
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I understand, but I want to start VC on one of the new hosts, not one 1 of the old hosts.

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

power it off

go to the command line of the host

register the vm

power it on

http://www.yellow-bricks.com/2011/11/16/esxi-commandline-work/

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

there are a couple options.  As Duncan point out, or, make a note of the datastore, power off the guest, remove from inventory, log into the ESXi Host in which you want the vCenter VM to be registered on, browse the shared datastore, right click on the vmx file and add to inventory.  Power on the guest.

CasGas
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanx alot! Didn't think about adding the vmx file again..

0 Kudos