VMware Cloud Community
JasonHoyt
Contributor
Contributor

Software to monitor process and do a HA hearbeat?

Let's start with I know I have not really done my homework like I should on this question, but here is it anyway...

I have an application (MS Windows) that runs all the time and other processes rely on the data that it provides, but it fails on occasion. I know there is software I can get to monitor this process/application and email me if there is an issue. Is there some software that I can point at a process and if it fails trip the HA (drops heartbeat)? I know I could maybe write my own (over my head and lack of time) using the SDK, but the software isn't mine to modify, etc. I haven't really gotten to the level of HA yet and probably won't for a while, unless this could solve my issue, then I'm all over figuring it out. Maybe even a nudge in the correct direction would be greatly appreciated. 

Jason

0 Kudos
3 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

VMware HA cannot monitor a single process in a VM but can monitor the VM so that if it become unresponsive it can restart the VM -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
JasonHoyt
Contributor
Contributor

I was thinking that HA could do "Application Monitoring" but needed that Heartbeat to be built into the application.

0 Kudos
JasonHoyt
Contributor
Contributor

Okay, now I have done a little bit more homework. HA can do "application monitoring" if you turn it on AND the application has the 'hooks' to generate the heartbeat. It either comes that way or you write it. So is there a software application that I can point at a windows process and have it monitor it and generate the heartbeat if it's working? It would be independent of the process, more generic in nature, I pick what is to be monitored. Seems simple enough if you are a programmer.

0 Kudos