VMware Cloud Community
vSohill
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Seeking help in vSphere HA

Hi community

Thanks GS

I am still did not understand how can I put a limit for virtual compute not to exceed the physical compute resources for exempel I do not want to vCPU more than pCPU in the event of host failure.

Lets assume I have 3 hosts with 8 pCPU per host. each host allocated 3 VMs with 2VPCU so there is no over subscription per host which is that what I wish to have

I case of host failed one host of the two will be over provisioned with vCPU more than pCPU. How can I avoid this I do not mind to the last VM which will cause the over superscription to be off and not to start in the new host.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vbrowncoat
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Reservations will ensure that VMs get the resources assigned to them. VMs without reservations will start and get whatever is left. If they have HA admissions control enabled, HA will not allow VMs to start if the host doesn't have resources to meet the reservations.

If you have more questions I'd highly recommend checking this: Introduction | vSphere 6.x HA Deepdive out first.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
vbrowncoat
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Set CPU reservations on the VMs that you want to run and not on the ones you don't.

0 Kudos
vSohill
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thanks alot  GS ,

Does CPU reservation prevent any  CPU overcommitment ?

Those VMs without any CPU reservation in host failure  will not restart in case of CPU overcommitment ?

0 Kudos
vbrowncoat
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Reservations will ensure that VMs get the resources assigned to them. VMs without reservations will start and get whatever is left. If they have HA admissions control enabled, HA will not allow VMs to start if the host doesn't have resources to meet the reservations.

If you have more questions I'd highly recommend checking this: Introduction | vSphere 6.x HA Deepdive out first.

0 Kudos