VMware Cloud Community
rlp62
Contributor
Contributor

Processor Problem

I am trying to setup a guest that I converted (P2V) for FT testing. the problem i am have is if I setup the guest to 1 vCPU it hangs if I set it to 2 vCPUs it works fine.

Anyone have any ideas on how to make this work?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
jb12345
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Was the physical server 2 CPU? What OS?

0 Kudos
r_lam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Does the problem only occurs with this VM?

0 Kudos
danm66
Expert
Expert

change the kernel back to uniprocessor and uninstall any hardware management tools/apps like HP Insight Management.

0 Kudos
rlp62
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry for the delay everyone!!

This image came from a dual proc win2k3 sp2 HP G3.

This box is in prod so I can not make any changes to it at this time. (Oracle Database)

If I have to I can recreate this box if need be, but would like to convert it.

Thanks for the Help!!!

If more info need just ask, I can get.

0 Kudos
jb12345
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That is the problem then. I can't find the document yet but I remember a VMware document that strongly recommended against changing the # or processors after building a VM or converting.

If I find the document I'll add it to this post.

0 Kudos
rlp62
Contributor
Contributor

Great Thanks.

I am going to try Detect HAL in msconfig and see if that works.

I will post with what happens.

0 Kudos
jb12345
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm not having any luck finding the document but you should take a look at the VMware document 'Virtual Machine to Physical Machine Migration' - I know you are going the other way - because it has a list of a couple MS documents specifically about changing the number of processors. I've attached it so you don't jhave to try to find it.

0 Kudos
rlp62
Contributor
Contributor

I Fixed it!

I did some more looking around on the web and found this.

http://communities.vmware.com/message/471192;jsessionid=12F8D9631528171FBF6972120C425A18

I then updated the multiprocessor in device manager under computer to uniprocessor and rebooted all is good and running.

Thank Everyone!!

0 Kudos