VMware Cloud Community
zenmike
Contributor
Contributor

Problem with FT

Hi here is my situation I just setup a test LAB to try out FT and i've added the two hosts to the cluster there is one proimary and one secondary I can vmotion from both of the hosts no problem I have forward and reverse lookups working i can ping the FT_logging nics, VMotion Nics and Management networks they are all on there own seperate subnet with dedicated nics for each.

But when I enable FT and turn on the virtual machine everything looks perfect there is a primary and secondary location of the coresponding hosts that im using, I look at each host's VM there is a primary and secondary powered on but as soon as I let's say pull the FT_logging nic of the primary host to test failoiver to the second location i get an error that states.

vSphere HA agent failed to startFault toerance\secondary VM /vmfc/volumes/blah-blah-blah/w2k3up64/w2k3up64.vmx

Reason: A general system error occured: Failed to resume on destination Vsphere HA agent will retry until it times out.

Funny thing is the previous secondary VM goes from powered on to powered off durring the failover and under the fault tollerance

status i just get need secondary VM NOT Protected.

What could be going wrong here ?

Running esxi5 build 469512 on both hosts with all the valid license for the Vcenter and the Hosts.

VT enabled in the BIOS

Processors are E5620 Intel XEON

48GB of memory.

Also using shared FC storage between the two host's

0 Kudos
5 Replies
zenmike
Contributor
Contributor

Update i've tried to run Site Survey but all i get inside on vcenter is a tab that says site survey when i select run site survey it just says in the status SiteSurvey has not been run for this view.

Still can't get FT to work.

0 Kudos
prashantd
Contributor
Contributor

Did you try "Test Failover" function from the Fault Tolerance menu on the virtual machine? You can also check for error messages in Secondary VM's vmware log file.

0 Kudos
zenmike
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I get the same error when i try test failover option.

The secondary VM task log shows:

A general system error occured: Failed to resume on destination Vsphere HA  agent will retry until it times out.

0 Kudos
prashantd
Contributor
Contributor

Can you copy/ paste errors from virtual machine's log file. See KB 1007805 to find vmware log file. Typically log files are in same directory as of virtual machine and named as vmware*.log

0 Kudos
zenmike
Contributor
Contributor

I've attached the most current LOG.

0 Kudos