VMware Cloud Community
MarcTW
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Multipathing: v3700, v5030, and 2 hosts

I have inherited this setup, so I am learning as I go. 

I have a Lenovo v3700 in Candidate mode, a Lenovo 5030 that is currently storage for my active operation, and the need to use the v3700 for multipathing.  I have the IP address for port 1 on both v3700 canisters.  I have not been able to get the v3700 gui to work, but I do have access to the Assistant Tool. 

What is the best resource to guide through the setup process or best next steps?  An equipment refresh is 2 years away, so this is what I have to work with for now.  IBM/ Lenovo wants $53,000 to answer any questions or provide any live information, so that is not an option. 

What other specs do you need to know? 

I am open and grateful for any assistance that gets this completed. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hello.
Do you have access to the V5030 administration (IP, user and password) ?Was the V3700 already configured as a subordinate of the V5030 ?.

The best and fastest way would be to coordinate a remote session (free of change) to understand your connections between the two storages.

If you are interested my contact details are mail: eespinel@gmail.com (time zone: UTC -5)

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
ptarnawski
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Setting up and configuring storage systems like the Lenovo V3700 can be a complex task, especially if you're new to the equipment. It's good that you have access to the Assistant Tool, as this will help you manage and configure your storage system. Here are some general steps and resources that might be helpful:

1. Documentation: The first step is to gather all the documentation and manuals related to your Lenovo V3700 and Lenovo 5030. Lenovo typically provides detailed documentation that includes setup instructions, configuration guides, and troubleshooting tips. Check Lenovo's official website for these resources. If you don't have the physical manuals, you may be able to find them online.

2. Network Configuration: Ensure that your Lenovo V3700 and Lenovo 5030 are on the same network segment and subnet. This is crucial for them to communicate properly. Double-check the IP addresses, subnet masks, and gateway settings.

3. Assistant Tool: Since you have access to the Assistant Tool, start by using it to configure and manage your storage. It's a command-line interface that should allow you to perform various tasks related to storage setup and management. The tool should have built-in help and documentation accessible through commands like help or man.

4. Web GUI: If you're unable to access the web GUI, try using different web browsers or ensure that your computer's firewall settings are not blocking access. The web GUI is generally the most user-friendly way to configure storage systems, so it's worth troubleshooting any issues you have with it.

5. Multipathing: To set up multipathing, you'll need to configure your host servers and the storage system properly. Multipathing is often handled at the server level, and you may need to install multipath software/drivers on your servers to manage this.

6. Online Communities and Forums: Sometimes, the best help comes from fellow users and IT professionals who have experience with the same equipment. Look for Lenovo or IBM storage-related forums or communities where you can ask questions and get advice. Websites like Spiceworks and Reddit's sysadmin subreddit can be good places to start.

7. YouTube Tutorials: Video tutorials can be very helpful for visual learners. Search for YouTube tutorials related to setting up and configuring Lenovo V3700 storage systems. These videos often provide step-by-step instructions.

8. Local IT Groups: If you have a local IT community or user group, consider reaching out to them for assistance. Sometimes, there may be experts in your area willing to help.

9. Backup and Data Safety: Be cautious when making changes to your storage setup, especially in a production environment. Always have a backup and recovery plan in place to protect your data.

10. Professional Consultants: If you continue to struggle and can't find the information you need, it might be worth considering hiring a consultant with experience in Lenovo storage systems. While this involves some cost, it could save you from costly mistakes.

Visit my blog:AngrySysOps.com
YT: AngryAdminYoutube
Visit my:Xwitter

If my answer has successfully addressed your issue, kindly mark it as RESOLVED. If it has provided valuable assistance, consider giving it a KUDOS. Thanks
bjonson974
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Given your setup, I'd recommend starting with the official documentation from Lenovo for the v3700 and v5030. These guides often provide step-by-step instructions for common configurations, including multipathing.

Since you mentioned having access to the Assistant Tool, it can be instrumental in configuration. Ensure you have the latest firmware updates and drivers, as sometimes GUI issues stem from outdated software.

For free resources, consider VMware and other virtualization forums, as many professionals often share their experiences and solutions.

Regarding specs, knowing your host OS, HBA cards, and switch model could be beneficial.

Regards
Ben Jonson
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hello.
Do you have access to the V5030 administration (IP, user and password) ?Was the V3700 already configured as a subordinate of the V5030 ?.

The best and fastest way would be to coordinate a remote session (free of change) to understand your connections between the two storages.

If you are interested my contact details are mail: eespinel@gmail.com (time zone: UTC -5)

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
MarcTW
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@ptarnawski Much appreciated.  I have tried and/ or considered all of these except trying all 3 browsers for gui access, but the forums' end result was call Lenovo.  No one in any IT groups responded offering hands-on or close proximity support. 

I did stumble across a better YouTube video set, so I hope something will lead me to not just configuring but multipathing as well. 

If any other ideas or resources present themselves, I welcome the info.  Again, thanks. 

0 Kudos
ptarnawski
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Sorry @MarcTW I don't have anything else. 

Visit my blog:AngrySysOps.com
YT: AngryAdminYoutube
Visit my:Xwitter

If my answer has successfully addressed your issue, kindly mark it as RESOLVED. If it has provided valuable assistance, consider giving it a KUDOS. Thanks
MarcTW
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@e_espinelI emailed you as well.  Let's talk soon. 

0 Kudos