VMware Cloud Community
kodefi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Move Vms back original host

Hello everybody!

Few days ago we had a IP address conflict that caused a host connection failure to one server of our HA enabled vsphere cluster.

All virtual machines from disconnected host were automatically relocated to other operating host (Tasks&Events: Relocating {virtual machine name} to {functional ESX host name})

I solved address conflict this morning and made sure that networking was functional. Then selected "Reconfigure for VMware HA" at Vsphere client. Now cluster is OK again, but all VMs are still located at that same host.

Do I need to manually migrate/relocate VMs back to original host (Migrate.. --> Change host..)??

Thx, Teemu

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ScottBentley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Yes you will need to move the guests to the host you want them to run on manually, there is no way of telling HA to fail back to a specific server.

If you have DRS that can perform this function for you by speading the load evenly accross your host servers, this will automate the movement of your guests depending on the settings applied to it.

I hope this helps

I hope this helps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Communities,

Do I need to manually migrate/relocate VMs back to original host

Yes, you will have to VMotion the VMs back manually. AFAIK there is no setting (neither supported nor hidden) like "home host" to which a VM automatically reverts after the host is available again.

The only automatic relocation of VM's occurs, if DRS kicks in.

André

schepp
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

If you didn't configure DRS then you have to migrate them back, using vMotion or cold migration.

Regards

ScottBentley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Yes you will need to move the guests to the host you want them to run on manually, there is no way of telling HA to fail back to a specific server.

If you have DRS that can perform this function for you by speading the load evenly accross your host servers, this will automate the movement of your guests depending on the settings applied to it.

I hope this helps

I hope this helps
0 Kudos