vSphere Availability

View Only
  • 1.  Is Fault tolerance possible within a single host?

Posted Apr 10, 2013 12:36 PM

Is Fault tolerance possible within a single host?

My requirement is to create two VMs within a single host and high availabilty between these two VMs.

Please suggest a solution.

• 2.  RE: Is Fault tolerance possible within a single host?

Posted Apr 10, 2013 12:47 PM

Note: Discussion successfully moved from Virtual Machine & Guest OS to Availability: HA & FT

VMware FT will require two hosts. For a single host, you will need to use OS-specific or 3rd party clustering solutions to achive high availability for apps/services.

• 3.  RE: Is Fault tolerance possible within a single host?

Posted Apr 12, 2013 06:52 AM

If I am using OS specific or 3rd party clustering services, do i need a shared storage outside the esxi box?

Or is there any possibility of using the unused disk space in the same esxi?

• 4.  RE: Is Fault tolerance possible within a single host?

Posted Apr 12, 2013 07:03 AM

nandhinee wrote:

If I am using OS specific or 3rd party clustering services, do i need a shared storage outside the esxi box?

If you are using a 3rd party service, then VMware is not involved :smileyhappy:

For example, using Windows NLB, you can cluster HTTP servers without any special storage requirement. What other requirements exist however will depend on what 3rd party service you choose to use.

edit: What is the point of this requirement? The moment you have a hardware failure, your "fault tolerance" goes down.

• 5.  RE: Is Fault tolerance possible within a single host?
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 10, 2013 01:05 PM

You will not be able to fulfil this requirement with VMware FT, this function requires a minimum of 2 host.  you would have to investigate third party solutions to deal with your particular needs