VMware Cloud Community
mlupini
Contributor
Contributor

(IBM Specific) ESX 4.0 HA enablement error – extra networks not used by other hosts.

What a battle, we have a large deployment of ESX4.0 nodes within our environment which we’re in the process of migrating from vsphere 4.0 to vsphere 4.1.
1st phase of our Migration was to get all our hosts into this new fresh deployment which was completely isolated. During the migration process of disconnecting & reconnecting nodes we encountered a problem where all secondary nodes within a cluster had encountered HA enablement/installation errors.

With the sensitivity of not having a HA enabled cluster we decided to roll back into the previous vcenter installation (4.0.0 208111) and to our astonishment we continued encountering issues with all nodes within this cluster.

Example of Error
Host esx01a has the following extra networks not used by other hosts for HA communication:169.254.95.119, Consider using HA advanced option das.allowNetwork to control network usage error
2011/07/07 01:12:47 PM

Troubleshooting Steps
So the deep drive trouble shooting had started performing the usual ha cluster verification checks just to be 100% sure. A great kb just to summarize the sort of checks required, have a look at article: 1001596.
After dig we found a similar IP address referenced above on an additional service console which wasn’t visible in the GUI “hmmm pretty struggle stuff”.
Seems that when executing a portable DSA locally without the –disable-IMM-LAN option the service console network settings are not automatically removed.
However if this option is used and the service console still exists you might need to perform the removal manually. “Huh since when do hardware vendors create service consoles upon diagnostics”

Resolution Steps
[root@esx01a ~]# esxcfg-vswif -l
Name Port Group/DVPort IP Family IP Address Netmask Broadcast Enabled TYPE
vswif0 Service Console IPv4 10.12.9.35 255.255.255.0 10.12.9.255 true STATIC
vswif1 IBM_CDC_PG IPv4 169.254.95.119 255.255.0.0 169.254.255.255 true STATIC
[root@esx01a ~]# esxcfg-vswif -d vswif1
Nothing to flush.

Recommendations
Are there any out there? The above had resolved our problems and we're ready to Get your butts on ESXi, the less agents installed the smoother and clean this engine runs.

Twitter: @mauriziolupini
0 Kudos
3 Replies
john23
Commander
Commander

just check this blog..

http://www.yellow-bricks.com/2008/08/08/dasallownetwork-where-and-when

-A

Thanks -A Read my blogs: www.openwriteup.com
mlupini
Contributor
Contributor

Hi thanks this problem has been resolved seems to be directly related to the link I've provided in my question from IBM.

Removing the anonyms service console, then rebooting the host had resolved the problem.

I had the case reviewed by VMware they hate agents installed so portable DSA was the cause of this problem.

Keep your hosts agentless is the way to go.

Can't wait to get us on ESXi thanks for the reply.

0 Kudos
mlupini
Contributor
Contributor

Resolution of problem provided by IBM check post URL.

0 Kudos