VMware Cloud Community
CRad14
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I need das.failureinterval and das.iostatsinterval clarification

I am hoping someone can help me with this cause at the moment it doesn't make any sense to me.

What is the point of having both of these settings? Why not just one that incorporates both?

If das.failureinterval and das.iostatsinterval are both set for 2 minutes, it will wait 2 minutes before reseting the VM.

If das.failureinterval is set to 2 minutes and  das.iostatsinterval is set to 5 minutes, it will wait five minutes before resetting the VM.

The availability guide doesn't seem explicit in this area. The only thing that kind of makes sense would be if......

das.iostatsinterval is set to 2 minutes and das.failureinterval is set to 5 minutes, then the VM would reboot after 2 minutes

Is that correct?!?

The availability guide makes it seem like the das.iostatsinterval is a backup check to das.failureinterval, but it doesn't say the opposite is true as well...

If someone could provide some clarity on these two settings I would greatly appreciate it

Conrad www.vnoob.com | @vNoob | If I or anyone else is helpful to you make sure you mark their posts as such! 🙂
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Okay, these two settings do something completely different. Let me try to explain it.

das.iostatsinterval is the interval that is used to check against if there was any Network or Storage over the last two minutes. This will only be verified after the amount of seconds defined by das.faulureinterval has been exceeded without any VMware Tools heartbeat being received.

So what does that mean for these values? Well I would probably always recommend to align them. There is no point in validating on network/storage I/O for over the past 5 minutes when you trigger the validation after two minutes of the lack of heartbeats as it might have failed 2 minutes 15 seconds ago.

So in your example the VM would be rebooted two minutes after it has failed IF it hasn't had any network/storage I/O for 5 minutes which is probably unlikely.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Okay, these two settings do something completely different. Let me try to explain it.

das.iostatsinterval is the interval that is used to check against if there was any Network or Storage over the last two minutes. This will only be verified after the amount of seconds defined by das.faulureinterval has been exceeded without any VMware Tools heartbeat being received.

So what does that mean for these values? Well I would probably always recommend to align them. There is no point in validating on network/storage I/O for over the past 5 minutes when you trigger the validation after two minutes of the lack of heartbeats as it might have failed 2 minutes 15 seconds ago.

So in your example the VM would be rebooted two minutes after it has failed IF it hasn't had any network/storage I/O for 5 minutes which is probably unlikely.

0 Kudos
CRad14
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Thanks Duncan,

I guess it just seems weird to me that if you have two settings that you pretty much always want to be the same...why not have one setting that incorporates both. Anyway, thanks again.

Conrad www.vnoob.com | @vNoob | If I or anyone else is helpful to you make sure you mark their posts as such! 🙂
0 Kudos