VMware Cloud Community
timsaunders
Contributor
Contributor

HA using MSA P2000 and SRM

I'm looking into implementing a new ESXi environment in one of our sites and was wondering if there was any experience out there with the following setup:

4 x DL380 G5's running ESXi 4.0.0 (running as 2 separate clusters)

2 x MSA P2000 G3's (FC Switched) (using bi-directional replication between the 2)

SRM 5.0

I'm trying to design a solution that's highly available....The Servers and Array & switching technology I'm happy with but I'm not sure about the SRM piece, if indeed that's supported using the MSA replication SW?

Any ideas/suggestions regarding HA VM's using the MSA P2000?

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

SRM seems like a lot of work for a pair of 2 node clusters. Realistically, even splitting the 4 nodes in 2x2 nodes is a lot of wasted compute due to the HA overhead of N+1.

Why not just create a 4 node cluster and present both storage arrays, and ensure that you have backups and replication running to protect the VM storage? This seems like a good Veeam candidate here.

VCDX #104 (DCV, NV) ஃ WahlNetwork.com ஃ @ChrisWahl ஃ Author, Networking for VMware Administrators
0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

What type of workload will you be running and is there a requirement for SRM? Looks like you are considering to deploy them in a single site even those two clusters?

0 Kudos