VMware Cloud Community
EBoucq
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

HA test: some VMs are disconnected

Hi,

I ran a test to check HA on my 2 hosts cluster by powering off one of the hosts.

Some VMs got restarted on the second host but 5 of them are now shown up and disconnected on the failed host 😞

The message I got in the Events log was "Not enough resources to failover....vSphere HA will retry when resources become available".....The same message I got for the VMs that finally restarted on the second host.

I'm running ESXi 5.5.0.

Any idea ?

Thanks !

Eric

0 Kudos
6 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

The error is what it indicates - your Admission control is configured such that there in sufficient resources fo rthe VMs to restart with the rerources that are available on the remaining host

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
EBoucq
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That's what I checked first: the admission control is disabled.

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

EBoucq wrote:

Hi,

I ran a test to check HA on my 2 hosts cluster by powering off one of the hosts.

Some VMs got restarted on the second host but 5 of them are now shown up and disconnected on the failed host 😞

The message I got in the Events log was "Not enough resources to failover....vSphere HA will retry when resources become available".....The same message I got for the VMs that finally restarted on the second host.

I'm running ESXi 5.5.0.

Any idea ?

Thanks !

Eric

Admission Control has nothing to do with HA initiated fail-overs. HA fail-over happens on a host level, esxi, and admission control is a function of vCenter. Do you virtual machines have reservations set? Are all storage devices available to all hosts? Are all networks available to all hosts? It feels like their is something misconfigured somehow,

0 Kudos
EBoucq
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I disabled and enabled HA again and got rid of that problem.

Thanks for your reply !

Eric

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

EBoucq wrote:

I disabled and enabled HA again and got rid of that problem.

Thanks for your reply !

Eric

I would recommend to use RVTools to do a dump of your config to see if there are any discrepancies just in case... It takes 2 minutes and prevents a lot of hassle Smiley Happy

EBoucq
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I will. Thanks for the advice !

0 Kudos