VMware Cloud Community
dirtdevil01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

HA cluster - vms don't migrate

I turned on HA for my cluster and turned off a host and none of the vms on that host migrated to any of the other hosts. Why?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
EdWilts
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

How did you turn off the host?  By entering maintenance mode or simply pulling the power?

Do you have admission control enabled?  Do you have enough resources on the other host?  HA doesn't guarantee that it will start guests on another host but it does the best it can.

.../Ed (VCP4, VCP5)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
john23
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

What is your HA cluster setting?

-A

Thanks -A Read my blogs: www.openwriteup.com
0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Thread has been moved to HA area.

Give more info on your HA settings. The VM are crashed or are been shutdown?

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
EdWilts
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

How did you turn off the host?  By entering maintenance mode or simply pulling the power?

Do you have admission control enabled?  Do you have enough resources on the other host?  HA doesn't guarantee that it will start guests on another host but it does the best it can.

.../Ed (VCP4, VCP5)
0 Kudos
dirtdevil01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the tips. It was the level on DRS. I set it to Aggresive and the vms powered up on other servers.

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

dirtdevil01 wrote:

Thanks for the tips. It was the level on DRS. I set it to Aggresive and the vms powered up on other servers.

Huh? HA and DRS have got nothing to do with eachother when it comes to powering on VMs unless you are overcommitting to the extreme and DRS needs to be used to make space, but this is very rare. Are you sure that was the issue?

Duncan

Yellow-Bricks.com

vSphere 5 Clustering Deepdive - eBook | Paper

0 Kudos