VMware Cloud Community
ranjitcool
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

HA and Linux heartbeats

I have always got a little confused with this.

I know HA is for hosts or nodes as we call it. If a host dies, HA detects that and starts all the vms that were on that host on another host.

What if a vm in a HA enabled cluster dies, for some odd reason. HA will restart that VM. Does HA detect this from heart beats between vms?

If Yes, then What about linux vms that don't have vm tools installed.

Please advice.

RJ

Please award points if you find my answers helpful Thanks RJ Visit www.rjapproves.com
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

VMM (virtual machine monitoring) is different from HA (Host monitoring).  You can enable VMM which uses the VMware guest tools as a heartbeat.  But if VMM is not enabled a failure of a guest will not be noticed or monitored within HA

for single vCPU guests, you may have better success using FT

...and if no VMware Guest tools, VMM won't work either.

ranjitcool
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thanks Troy,

VMM however is part of the HA package right?

Failure of vm = failure to recive heartbeat from vm tools which kicks in response from vmm/HA right?

Does the heartbeat in the vmm scenario also have a 1 sec interval with a 15 second response time?

Thanks

Please award points if you find my answers helpful Thanks RJ Visit www.rjapproves.com
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

VMM however is part of the HA package right?

yes, you need HA to enable VMM, but they are two different feature sets

Failure of vm = failure to recive heartbeat from vm tools which kicks in response from vmm/HA right?

yes

Does the heartbeat in the vmm scenario also have a 1 sec interval with a 15 second response time?

default is 30 seconds, but can be chaned to as high as 2 minutes

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

VMM is part of the HA configuration but not part of the HA agent. VMM lives in "VPXD" and uses the VMware tools heartbeat!

<shameless self promotion> most of this info can be found on yellow-bricks.com and of course in my book</end>

Duncan (VCDX)

Available now on Amazon: vSphere 4.1 HA and DRS technical deepdive

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

You can also adjust the sensitivty of the hearbeat detection.

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
EdWilts
Expert
Expert

We've had nothing but problems with VMM and Linux guests and I believe that there's a KB article outlining this but I can't find one right now for a current version of ESX (I did find the one for ESX 3.5).  If the guest is up and running but hearthbeat doesn't get delivered, vmm will reboot the guest causing you an outage where one isn't required.

We've turned off VMM cluster-wide.  We've never had an issue with Windows guests.

.../Ed (VCP4, VCP5)
0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

It is a matter of adjusting the sensitivity and timeout values. Once you get it right for your environment it works well.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos