VMware Cloud Community
victorarok
Contributor
Contributor

HA admisstion control

Hi,

Need your help in understanding this.

I have cluster running 10 host with esxi5.0.With HA and DRS enabled in shared storage.

What happens if all the 9 host fails .Will all the vms poweron on the working host.I have admisstion control policy disabled.

Please help me .

Thanks,

0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

It depends on the number of VMs and available resources on the working host. If the working host has sufficient resources to poweron N Vms, then YES.

(Assuming overall N VMs in 10 hosts)

Other key issues that need to considered here:

- If N is large, failing over N vms on a single host might slow down the host significantly. For e.g.

- Resource contention (cpu, mem, storage, interconnect, etc) contention during restart/powerOn (boot storm)

- Resource usage (e.g. cpu, mem, ...) after VM powerOn

- N does not exceed ESX maximum (Note, there is a limit of number of VMs per ESX host)

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

victorarok wrote:

Hi,

Need your help in understanding this.

I have cluster running 10 host with esxi5.0.With HA and DRS enabled in shared storage.

What happens if all the 9 host fails .Will all the vms poweron on the working host.I have admisstion control policy disabled.

Please help me .

Thanks,

That depends. Only requirement there is in order to start a virtual machine is that ALL reserved resources are available. Now typically you will not have any, except for the "overhead" memory of a virtual machine which you should be able to guarantee as well.

It should be noted, that if you ever reach this point... your VMs will be dog slow though Smiley Happy

0 Kudos