vSphere Availability

View Only
  • 1.  HA Misconfigured???

Posted Mar 02, 2010 04:37 PM

Currently we have 2 DL380 G5's with 6 avaliable NIC's in them. We're running vsphere 4.0 ESXi. I have the networking setup as followed: vSwitch 0 (this has all our VM's, and our Management network) and vSwitch1 (vMotion network only). vSwitch0 has 5 physical NIC's connected to it in an active state. vSwitch1 only has physical NIC assigned to it.

I had a request today from one of our system admin that they needed to some testing, and one of the VM's needed to be added to the DMZ. So I setup a seprate vSwitch for the DMZ traffic, and then added another NIC to that VM that was connected to the DMZ vSwitch. After I went into the main vSwitch0 and removed one of the Physical NIC's I noticed all the VM's on this Host turned off.

I thought by having all 5 NIC's active this shouldn't happen if one of them went down or removed? Or was this caused because I only have 1 Management Network setup to that vSwitch, and when I removed the one physical nic from that vSwitch it had to "take down that vSwitch" to reconfigure it?

I just need some claification as to where I have my mistake so this doesn't happen again if we need to do further testing.

Thanks for any help.

• 2.  RE: HA Misconfigured???

Posted Mar 02, 2010 04:57 PM

HA on the host lost connectivity to its isolation address (default gateway by default) maybe. You must set more than 1 isolation address, in different networks, in case you don't want this to happen again:

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1002117

The KB is pretty old but the config is the same for vCenter 4.

Marcelo Soares

VMWare Certified Professional 310/410

Technical Support Engineer

Globant Argentina

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

• 3.  RE: HA Misconfigured???

Posted Mar 02, 2010 05:03 PM

Just want to clairify before I make the changes. I should have 2 of the vSwitches (on each machine) setup for management traffic? Then I should be able to put das.isoluationaddress1 - 4 with the 4 address (2 from each boxes)?

• 4.  RE: HA Misconfigured???
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 02, 2010 05:20 PM

The isolation address should be an IP independent from your ESX boxes. You will have 2 IP's for management on each of your ESX, each IP on a different subnet mask. And you will have 2 isolation addresses, each one on the saparated network you configured for the ESX's. Example:

ESX1

IP1: 10.1.1.100

IP2: 192.168.1.100

Isolation addr1: 10.1.1.1

Isolation addr2: 192.168.1.1

ESX2

IP1: 10.1.1.101

IP2: 192.168.1.101

Isolation addr1: 10.1.1.1

Isolation addr2: 192.168.1.1

Marcelo Soares

VMWare Certified Professional 310/410

Technical Support Engineer

Globant Argentina

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.