VMware Cloud Community
FLINTY1
Contributor
Contributor

HA Datastores

** NEWBIE **

Appologies if this is not the right Technology Group. 

We have recently purchased a VRTX Chassis. After configuration we are getting a warning " The number of vSphere HA heartbeat datastores for this host is 1, which is less than required: 2".

After attempting to create a new datastore I dont see any VMFS \ disk/LUN for provisioning. I only see the Local OS ATA disk. We have configured a Raid 6 SAN and given the only datastore half the disk space. There are 3TB of disk space available but i am not seeing these in vSphere Client when attempting to create a new Datastore. 

The details of the VRTX is PowerEdge M640 (VRTX) - VMware ESXi, 6.7.0, 16316930.

I would be grateful if someone could offer and guidance - assistance.

Regards.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
fabio1975
Commander
Commander

Ciao 
you have two options:
- Deactivate the warning, more details in this KB also of the possible contraindications

HA error: "The number of heartbeat datastores for host is 1, which is less than required: 2" (200473...

- Or create a second shared VMFS datastore
It is not clear to me if you have created a single virtual volume that occupies all the space of the raid configured with all the disks present and on which you have created a datastore using only part of the space or you have created a virtual volume using only part of the disks or part of the raid configured

Fabio

Visit vmvirtual.blog
If you're satisfied give me a kudos

FLINTY1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Fabio1975

The first option would not be our best option.

Regarding the second option

Or create a second shared VMFS datastore
It is not clear to me if you have created a single virtual volume that occupies all the space of the raid configured with all the disks present and on which you have created a datastore using only part of the space or you have created a virtual volume using only part of the disks or part of the raid configured.

I think a datastore was created using only part of the space on the Raid 6.  How can i check what has been created. I am very new to VRTX. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
fabio1975
Commander
Commander

Ciao 

you can start to see this video

https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/it-it/poweredge-vrtx/cmcvrtx33ug/creating-virtual-disk-using-cm...

and read this documentation

Dell Chassis Management Controller Version 3.3 for Dell EMC PowerEdge VRTX User's Guide | Dell Itali...

Sorry, but i am not a VRTX expert 🙂

Fabio

Visit vmvirtual.blog

Csanyi
Contributor
Contributor

I'm using version 7, i can't seem to find any of the options in these instructions:

To disable the HA error message:
  1. Log in to vCenter Server.
  2. Right-click the cluster and click Edit Settings.
  3. Click vSphere HA > Advanced Options.
  4. Under Option, add an entry for das.ignoreInsufficientHbDatastore.
  5. Under Value, type true.
  6. Click Cluster Features.
  7. De-select Turn on vSphere HA and click OK.
  8. Wait for all the hosts in the cluster to deconfigure HA, then right-click the cluster and click Edit Settings.
  9. Click Cluster Features.
  10. Click Turn on vSphere HA.
  11. Click OK.
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thread reported to moderators so it can be moved to the correct area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
fabio1975
Commander
Commander

Ciao @Csanyi 

you need:

fabio1975_3-1643571650306.png

after

fabio1975_4-1643571672322.png

and 

fabio1975_1-1643571421528.png

after add insert: 

das.ignoreInsufficientHbDatastore  and insert under value true

After disabling and re-enable the vSphere HA.

Fabio

Visit vmvirtual.blog

depping
Leadership
Leadership

Just so you understand, the HA Datastore Heartbeat mechanism is a way for HA to determine if a host is impacted by a failure or not. In your case, with a VRTX solution, it is okay to only have 1 datastore. We have the same with vSAN for instance. SImply change the advanced setting as recommend above.

FLINTY1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi All,

Thanks very much for your messages. 

Just one more thing. Can the settings be adjusted during the working day? I ask because our site is a production site and i wouldn't want any problems. 

Regards.

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

Yes that is no problem. The setting simply removes the warning, doesn't do anything else than that.

0 Kudos
FLINTY1
Contributor
Contributor

hi all.

the warning has cleared but i still see the yellow exclamation mark on the hosts.

How do i clear these. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

regards.

0 Kudos
fabio1975
Commander
Commander

Ciao @FLINTY1 

do you have any warning messages on the ESXi Host?

Fabio

Visit vmvirtual.blog

0 Kudos
FLINTY1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Guys,

sorry for not getting back sooner.

I applied the fix and there are no more warnings on the hosts.

Regards.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos