VMware Cloud Community
MeBhanu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

HA Agent restarting vm's on different hosts once the parent hosts fails

Hi ,

If you disconnect a host from a cluster, all of the virtual machines registered to that host are unprotected
by vSphere HA.

I am not able to understand above said , because even if host fails suddenly or disconnected are same right?

One more doubt is why HA restarts the VM on diff host instead of storage or host Vmotion because restart of vm also requires HOST&Datastore Vmotoin right?

Cheers,

Bhanu

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Please take a look at http://www.yellow-bricks.com/vmware-high-availability-deepdiv/ which explains HA in detail. I guess this will help you more than if I would try to explain it here Smiley Wink

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

If you disconnect a host from a cluster, all of the virtual machines registered to that host are unprotected by vSphere HA.

A host needs to be a member of a HA cluster to be protected by HA. If you disconnect the host from the cluster this isn't the case anymore.

I am not able to understand above said , because even if host fails suddenly oy disconnected are same right?

No. There's a difference between a host failure and e.g. isolation (if it is this what you describe as disconnected). In case of Isolation, the "Isolation Response" settings are used.

One more doubt is why HA restarts teh VM on diff host instead of moving them to destination.

Well, how would you move (vMotion) a VM if the host isn't available anymore? In case of a failure the only option is a restart.

André

MeBhanu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi André,

Thanks for youre support,

As I am new to VMware , I would like to know , when suddenly host fails , Master server in HA  how much time it takes to restart VM's on diff host because failure can happen within a second.

Cheers,

Bhanu

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Please take a look at http://www.yellow-bricks.com/vmware-high-availability-deepdiv/ which explains HA in detail. I guess this will help you more than if I would try to explain it here Smiley Wink

André

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

MeBhanu wrote:

Hi André,

Thanks for youre support,

As I am new to VMware , I would like to know , when suddenly host fails , Master server in HA  how much time it takes to restart VM's on diff host because failure can happen within a second.

Cheers,

Bhanu

typically within 30 - 60 seconds. time to restart depends on various aspects. My blog above explains this in-depth. I can also recommend my vSphere 5.1 Clustering book. (shameless plug)