VMware Cloud Community
csinCleveland
Contributor
Contributor

Fault Tolerance: what is maximum number of VMs and vCPUs?

Hello,

Long story short, we are moving from a physical server setup to virtual setup using VMWare.  We are going to be moving to two hosts and vSAN setup.

Our project implementation is a good 8-9 months out.  Till then, I am taking VMWare training.  I'm seeing Fault Tolerance in my training.  I want it.

I have two questions basically:

1) Is there a limit on the number of VMs and vCPUs you can implement?  

2) What licensing is required for this?

I'm seeing the following in VMWare docs:

Fault Tolerance Requirements, Limits, and Licensing (vmware.com)

This seems to indicate VMWare by default has a limit of 4 VMs and 8 vCPUs but that can be increased somehow.  It also touches on licensing. 

Based on what I'm seeing, I'm not sure what the limits of FT are.  Basically, I would like to have Fault Tolerance on as many VMs with as many vCPUs as the physical hosts hardware will allow.  Is this possible and what is the minimum licensing required?

Thanks,
Chris Smith

0 Kudos
2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I have reported your post to the moderators, asking them to move it to the area for HA and FT.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
csinCleveland
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks scott!  I didn't see that area.  Hopefully that will get me some good responses.

Chris Smith

0 Kudos