VMware Cloud Community
ab_21
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Fail over VM level

We have multi-tier server running the same service, example HR(web-1, app-1), HR(web-2, app-2), my question is if app-1 fails, can i ensure that the communication continue to be with web-2 on the vceneter ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hey @ab_21,

Then as I can see your application seems to be ready to load balanced and one tier to receive the requested if the other one fails. Make sure to properly configure your Load Balancers to make sure that the check it perform are the proper ones.

As I said at the beginning, if your servers are part of a cluster which has vSphere HA licensed you will also have the protection of the hardware failure in case it happens.

Basically what we can discuss are the principles of the availability that can reach a lot of components such as storage, adapters, devices, etc. But that will be of course your gathering of information and check that you do not have a single point of failure (SPOF) in your platform.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hey @ab_21,

Let me see if I understood well, you have two different applications made by one Web Server and one App Server. You are asking if one of the App Servers from one aplication fails if the request will keep working to the secondary app? Well some considerations but this will depend on how your application is working:

• For High Availability purposes you have vSphere HA which will react under certain environmental conditions and restart the virtual machines in another host which works properly.
  • How are you currently load balancing your application?
  • Do you have a Load balancer in front the App, Web Servers or both?
  • Are the users requests pointing to that load balancer?
ab_21
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello @Lalegre thanks for your reply,

The two servers are running the same service, the reason we have two is for redundancy.

• How are you currently load balancing your application?

We have hardware load balancer. 

• Do you have a Load balancer in front the App, Web Servers or both?

The two app servers are load balanced under one VIP, and the two web servers are load balanced under one VIP.

• Are the users requests pointing to that load balancer?

The users request are pointing to the VIP load balancer not directory to the web/app servers

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Moderator: Moved to Availability HA & FT Discussions

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hey @ab_21,

Then as I can see your application seems to be ready to load balanced and one tier to receive the requested if the other one fails. Make sure to properly configure your Load Balancers to make sure that the check it perform are the proper ones.

As I said at the beginning, if your servers are part of a cluster which has vSphere HA licensed you will also have the protection of the hardware failure in case it happens.

Basically what we can discuss are the principles of the availability that can reach a lot of components such as storage, adapters, devices, etc. But that will be of course your gathering of information and check that you do not have a single point of failure (SPOF) in your platform.