VMware Cloud Community
djordje29
Contributor
Contributor

FT problem

Hello to all,

I have strange problem, two same hosts in cluster Dell PowerEdge T440 installed with latest version of  ESXi and VCSA V7 U1.

I have 10 VMs which I transfered to new vCenter via Vmware converter from old vsphere server or retrived from backup (most of them converted from PC to VM). I have intalled latest possible VM tools and upgraded  VM HW to latest..

For some of VMs I can turn on FT without any problems (XP and W7 OS) and for some not.  FT fails with the  error message :

vCenter disabled Fault Tolerance because the Secondary VM could not be powered On. 

Error stack:

Host 192.168.10.12 has some Fault Tolerance issues for virtual machine . Refer to the errors list for details.

Unable to prepare migration.

Unable to prepare migration.

OR

Error stack:

Host 192.168.10.11 has some Fault Tolerance issues for virtual machine . Refer to the errors list for details.

Unable to access virtual disk 'Hard disk 1' from the host. Either the host is disconnected from the datastore or has insufficient privilege. Details: Unable to access file [Delldatastore2] 1252ES01/1252ES01.vmdk

No suitable host can be found to place the Fault Tolerance Secondary VM for virtual machine 1252ES01.

Each host has one datastore and both of them connected to the same iSCSI and NFS shared storage.

I already checked all compatibility issues for hosts and VMs that I could find in documentation and on the forums and troubleshooting and all seams to be ok. 

I compared VM settings, HD types ,removed USB....... two XP VMa with same settings, on first I can turn FT on and on another fails with errors above . Same thing with W7 virtual machines.

If I could not turn on FT on any VM than I would understand that something is not compatible with FT but since it works for some VMs and for other no I am out of ideas . 

Is there some known issue with VMs that are converted from physical PC and FT?

BR and thanks in advance

Djordje

0 Kudos
5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@djordje29 

Moderator: Moved to Availability: HA & FT Discussions

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

Hi,

Please check the following links about the checklist and limitation for the FT feature (do it carefully once more time again if you did it, please):

Checklist

Limits

Then about the mentioned error, check this link KB2013907

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos
djordje29
Contributor
Contributor

Hello and thanks for answering.

I passed many times links that you sent. I can vMotion VMs without any problems also.

I am confused because I can enable FT on some VMs and on others no. When I compare settings, properties ...etc. of  two VMs, W7 or XP, I can not find any difference and on one you can  turn on FT and on the other one no. It fails with message :

vCenter disabled Fault Tolerance because the Secondary VM could not be powered On.

BR

Djordje

0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

if you disable FT for the VM that doesn't have any issue, did you still have this problem with another VM, if you try to enable FT again ?!

And please test the reverse path of FT, I mean move the primary VM to the second host and check the creation of secondary VM on the first ESXi ...

Also, try to put all VMDKs on the local datastore. Do not place them on shared storage.

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos
djordje29
Contributor
Contributor

I can enable FT on  4 VMs at same time with 2CPU  that wants to activate. I tried to swich host for other VMs  and turn on FT but result is the same message ...can not start secondary VM. 

I keep VMDK on host datastore, not shared. But tried all combinations and same message for those VMs that wont FT.

0 Kudos