VMware Cloud Community
MattG
Expert
Expert

FT: What is it good for....

Fault Tolerance sounds good, but I am assuming that there is a performance penalty to using it. This statement from the FT page makes me think that it is not a recommended best practice to keep it on as an alternative to local MSCS type clustering:

+Applications that require continuous protection during certain critical

periods of time such as quarter end processing, can utilize VMware

Fault Tolerance for higher assurance of availability during those time

periods.+

What are the best practices around it's use?

What have beta testers found in using it?

-MattG

-MattG If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
5 Replies
MattG
Expert
Expert

Just saw this:

VMware Fault Tolerance is supported with virtual machines with only a single virtual processor.

That could hamper it's use for the type of VMs (Exchange, SQL) that you want this type of HA for.

-MattG

-MattG If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
Jasemccarty
Immortal
Immortal

Maybe in 4.1, 4.2, or 4.5 whatever they call it.

Jase McCarty

http://www.jasemccarty.com

Co-Author of VMware ESX Essentials in the Virtual Data Center

(ISBN:1420070274) from Auerbach

Please consider awarding points if this post was helpful or correct

Jase McCarty - @jasemccarty
0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

I think FT is excellent for all the custom solutions a lot of customer build which are mostly not cluster aware. Especially in the Insurance and banking industry you will see a lot of these applications. They don't typically use a lot of resources or need vSMP but they are business critical.

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator

-

Blogging:

Twitter:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
Jasemccarty
Immortal
Immortal

Duncan,

You hit the nail on the head. Working in the finance industry, there are a lot of systems that could benefit from this. I can think of many systems I would like use FT with.

Too bad my 6 month old, and 1 year old DL580 G5's have 7300 series processors. I'll be sure to get some 7400 series procs this go around.

Jase McCarty

http://www.jasemccarty.com

Co-Author of VMware ESX Essentials in the Virtual Data Center

(ISBN:1420070274) from Auerbach

Please consider awarding points if this post was helpful or correct

Jase McCarty - @jasemccarty
0 Kudos
MattG
Expert
Expert

So there is a processor architecture minimum requirement?

-MattG

0 Kudos