VMware Cloud Community
vPat
Contributor
Contributor

FT Testing

I just enabled fault tolerance on one of my servers, I had to format the drives to Thick eager and change the CPU/MMU to Intel VT-x for MMU but after that it turned on successfully

When I tried testing it today by shutting off the primary protected machine it did not switch over to the secondary

when I right click the primary and go to FT and choose test failover that seems to work

my question is shouldn't I be able to shut down the primary simulating a fail? I tried shutting down gracefully first and then I tried just a hard shutdown by powering it off both of these ways did not trigger a failover.

I was going to try and disconnect the nic but when I do try that I get an error " Hot plug of device '0' is not supported for this virtual machine." Reconfigure virtual machine
server Unsupported virtual machine configuration-on for Fault Tolerance.View details...and it won't let me disconnect

0 Kudos
1 Reply
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Powering off the primary VM will power off the secondary VM too. Please take a look at VMware KB: Testing a VMware Fault Tolerance configuration which explains ways to test FT.

André

0 Kudos