VMware Cloud Community
kiranchavan30
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ESXi 5.1 Host HA status is showing as Election

Hi,

I have a 4 node ESXi 5.1 HA and DRS Cluster. Recently I have replaced the SSL certificates of all these hosts and before performing this activity I had disabled the HA. Now, post replacing the SSL certificates of the hosts - when I'm enabling the HA on the cluster, only 1 ESXi host is showing HA status as - "Running(Master) and rest all thress hosts are showing "Election" HA status.

Tried to re-install the HA agent on the host but still issue persists. Also tried the re-configure the HA on ESXi hosts, disabling and enabling the HA on the cluster but no luck.

Can someone help me to get this resolved.

Thanks,

KC

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kiranchavan30
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi All,

Thanks for all your response.

Issue is resolved without using the HostReconnect.pl script. I have followed the below steps and now all the ESXi hosts are showing normal HA status.

1) Put the host in Maintenance Mode. Disconnect and remove it from vCenter server.

2) Restart the Management Agent through  DCUI.

3) Uninstalled the HA agent using command line.

4) Add the host again in Cluster.

5) Exit from Maintenance Mode.

By Following these steps - successfully configured the HA on all the four ESXi hosts. Now one host is showing as Master and rest three hosts are showing as Slave HA status.

Regards,

KC

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
MKguy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

This is probably because the SSL-thumbprint in the vCenter DB was not updated accordly. We had a similar issue when we replaced certificates a while ago.

Update the DB or use the HostReconnect.pl script as instructed by this KB article:

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2006210

I'm aware the article only mentions 5.0 but I think the issue is still present in 5.1, at least on U0.

-- http://alpacapowered.wordpress.com
0 Kudos
kiranchavan30
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi thanks for the response.

But the question here is how the one host showing HA status "Running (master)".? SSL certificate of this host is also replaced.

Thanks

KC

0 Kudos
firestartah
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi,

As of vSphere 5.0 and the FDM mechanism that runs HA, there is only one master and the rest are all slaves.

Gregg

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Gregg http://thesaffageek.co.uk
0 Kudos
kiranchavan30
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Correct.. there is only one master and rest all are slave host in HA cluster. But my question is post replacing the SSL certificate why only one host is showing normal status of HA and rest other are showing election state.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Try disconnecting and reconnecting the hosts from vCenter.

0 Kudos
kiranchavan30
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi All,

Thanks for all your response.

Issue is resolved without using the HostReconnect.pl script. I have followed the below steps and now all the ESXi hosts are showing normal HA status.

1) Put the host in Maintenance Mode. Disconnect and remove it from vCenter server.

2) Restart the Management Agent through  DCUI.

3) Uninstalled the HA agent using command line.

4) Add the host again in Cluster.

5) Exit from Maintenance Mode.

By Following these steps - successfully configured the HA on all the four ESXi hosts. Now one host is showing as Master and rest three hosts are showing as Slave HA status.

Regards,

KC

0 Kudos