VMware Cloud Community
sbrousse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Cannot Turn On FT

I have an issue that with re-enabling fault tolerance.

My client has two hosts in a cluster and was running FT on my vCenter server for quite some time.  Thanks to Hurricane Irene the client had a power outage for over a week and was unable to power off their environment before backup power failed.  We are currently bringing the hosts back up and when i attempt to enable FT on the vCenter host i receive the following error at 56% on the enabling process.

The secondary VM with instanceUuid is already registered with the Primary Vm.

There is no secondary vm registered with either host.  I logged in locally to confirm this. I searched this and found an article in the VMware knowledge base.  http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=103182....  In the article it says to "Delete the shared.vmft file from the virtual machine directory and then turn on Fault Tolerance."  I did this and still the same error.

i would appreciate any suggestions on this error.

SB

0 Kudos
4 Replies
nalfonso14
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

please, verify all requerimiento to FT, and seen more information with ESxi version, SO, etc.

Host requirements:

• CPUs: Only recent HV-compatible processors (AMD Barcelona+, Intel Harpertown+), processors must be the same family
  • All hosts must be running the same build of VMware ESX
  • Storage: shared storage (FC, iSCSI, or NAS)
  • Hosts must be in an HA-enabled cluster
  • Network and storage redundancy to improve reliability: NIC teaming, storage multipathing
  • Separate VMotion NIC and FT logging NIC, each Gigabit Ethernet (10 GB recommended). Hence, minimum of 4 NICs (VMotion, FT Logging, two for VM traffic/Service Console)
  • CPU clock speeds between the two ESX hosts must be within 400 Mhz of each other.

VM requirements:

• VMs must be single-processor (no vSMP)
  • All VM disks must be “thick” (fully-allocated) and not thin; if a VM has a thin disk it will be converted to thick when FT is enabled.
  • No non-replayable devices (USB, sound, physical CD-ROM, physical floppy, physical Raw Device Mappings)
  • Make sure paravirtualization is not enabled by default (Ubuntu Linux 7/8 and SUSE Linux 10)
  • Most guest operating systems are supported with the following exceptions that apply only to hosts with third generation AMD Opteron processors (i.e. Barcelona, Budapest, Shanghai): Windows XP (32-bit), Windows 2000, Solaris 10 (32-bit). See this KB article for more.
Nicolas Alfonso Sr Virtualization Architect ***Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.***
0 Kudos
nalfonso14
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

And check que Guest an processor in this KB http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1008027

Nicolas Alfonso Sr Virtualization Architect ***Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.***
0 Kudos
sbrousse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I know that the hosts and vm meet the requirements because FT was running previously. The version of ESXi is 4.1 update 1.

0 Kudos
sbrousse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My solution to the problem was to clone the vm and then enable fault tolerance on the clone.  Once the vcenter server was shut down i booted up the vcenter clone and deleted the original.  That got me around the fault tolernace error.

0 Kudos