VMware Cloud Community
victorforde
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can you assign a user created VM an agent attribute?

Hi,

Just learning about HA restart priority order for VMs in 5.0. I understand it is as, following this category order;

Agent VMs

FT Secondary VMs

High

Medium

Low

If you had a VM which you deemed critical to be up amongst the very first VMs in a HA host failure scenario is it possible to assign a VM an attribute such that it would be considered an Agent VM like a system assigned e.g vShield Endpoint ?

Regards,

Victor

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
5 Replies
victorforde
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Duncan,

Thanks for getting back on this! The 2nd update you provided gives more than enough detail on it.

I was reading through the the HA restart priority in your Deep Dive 5 book and that prompted the question 🙂

Kind Regards,

Victor

0 Kudos
beckham007fifa
Jump to solution

yes, Agent vm's are antivirus or most critical vm's, they should be started first and you have to decide which of my vm's can come under this Agent vm's.

Regards, ABFS
0 Kudos
victorforde
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi AB,

Thanks AB. I was wondering whether in vSphere  Client if you create a new VM is there an advanced setting you can set  at creation time that identifies a VM as an agent VM. Duncan indicated  the document that details the implementation mechanism for creating VMs  Agent VMs. So while you do decide which ones come under Agent VMs, you  need to prepackage these and Integrate them to vSphere. It is not something like a das.advanced_ha_setting setting which you set.

Regards,

Victor

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The whole concept of "Agent VMs" is aimed at partners/vendors who create "VMs" that provide a specific function to the virtual infrastructure. This is normally not to be used by "end-users".

0 Kudos