VMware Cloud Community
belfort
Contributor
Contributor

Break cluster and re-enable without DRS

Due to the VMware license i have I dont have the option for DRS. It's currently enabled so i need

to break my cluster and re-enable it without DRS. What will happen to the VMs that are currently in the

cluster if i break ? They are currently powered on but i cant connect to them as DRS is still enabled.

If i break the cluster will the VMs get turned off and will i be able to turn them back on ?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

are there any issues with just disabling DRS in the cluster settings?

Do you also have HA enabled? Whcih isolation response setting is configured?

André

0 Kudos
RR9
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

could you provide information on question raised by a.p.

this would give more information on the issue you are facing.

for your information..

Dissconnecting or removing host from vcenter server will not power off VMs.

When you reconnect host all VMs will be there as it is.

0 Kudos
belfort
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply. Both HA and DRS are enabled. Not licensed for DRS with my Essentials pack.

Can i just disabled DRS from the cluster or do i need to break cluster and re-enable with just HA ?

Host isolation reponse is set to Shut Down. I should change this to powered on im assuming ?

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

You should be fine with disabling DRS from the cluster settings. 

0 Kudos
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I configured this in my lab and can verify turning off DRS causes no issues to the running VMs in a cluster.

1. Created a cluster with DRS enabled using Enterprise Plus licensing
  2. Downgraded cluster to Advanced licensing (which does not include DRS) - warning on cluster appeared stating DRS was not licensed.
  3. Turned off DRS from cluster.
  4. No issues were encountered.
VCDX #104 (DCV, NV) ஃ WahlNetwork.com ஃ @ChrisWahl ஃ Author, Networking for VMware Administrators
0 Kudos
belfort
Contributor
Contributor

Disabling DRS and setting the hosts to stay on worked great. Cluster and hosts stayed online.

Thanks for your help with this

0 Kudos