VMware Cloud Community
AlvinWahyudi
Contributor
Contributor

Best Solution for Local VM Replication

Hi Experts,

As the topic says, i'm looking for best solution for Local VM Replication that can replicate VM for maintaining availability in local site while keeping SRM Relationship for same datastores to be replicated to DRC, at first i'm looking at VDR solution, but just found out from that it has limitation that restrict me from using the solution :

1.      For a single VDR appliance, we can backup only up to 100 virtual machines.

2.      There can be only 4 backup tasks running simultaneously. We can schedule the backup of large number of virtual machines at the same time.

3.      The maximum supported de-dupe store for the VDR is 1TB (for RDM and vmdk). If the backup is taken more of 1TB, VDR cannot be used.

4.      It can’t take the backup of the RDM and VMFS data store.

I'm looking for solution that can backup both RDM and VMFS data store locally without any size restriction, for now i'm thinking some solution to this and really need advice from experts here (one being FT) :

1. Using host based replication software to replicate the volume to different array in local and then mount it manually in case of disaster in local site (this will be really costly)
  2. Using scheduled Vclone to copy the VM to other array
  3. Using VMware FT for transparent failover (will it works with both ESX server connected to different storage in local?, and will the RDM and VMFS datastore backed up through FT?), I never tried this feature so really need some advice.
  4. Using 3rd Party replication software meant for VMs (Ex. Veeam) http://www.veeam.com/vmware-esx-backup.html

any advice/recommendation will be really appreciated Smiley Happy , please provide reasons too.

Many thanks,

Regards,

Alvin

0 Kudos
0 Replies