VMware Cloud Community
JayArr
Contributor
Contributor

Auto Stop / Auto Start in a Cluster

I'm building a new three host cluster with vSphere 4.0 U1. This week we experienced a power failure that took down our entire environment - which was a good thing because I realized VM's did not restart automatically.

I've dug into this issue and found that I can setup "Virtual Machine Startup and Shutdown" per host, but it doesn't seem to be the right place to configure it for a cluster.

Shutdown issue:

I plan on having software installed on the service console to allow our UPS to issue shutdown commands to the servers so that we have graceful shutdowns in the future, so what would the best recommendation be for setting this up?

I'm envisioning something like this - each VM has a UPS client installed so that the UPS can issue a shutdown command at a certain percentage of run time. Then the HOST will also have a client installed to get a shutdown command at a lower percentage. But that seems cludgy.

Startup Issue:

When the lights come back on and our UPS is charged again, power is restored to the environment. The hosts are set to power on after a 120 second delay to give the SAN additional time to spin up. Once vSphere is up and running - how can I have the VM's set to auto-start?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

While that option exists for individual hosts, it does not exist for a cluster. The cluster does not account for automated shtudown / restart of all hosts in the cluster. You can try to enable HA, and turn on vm monitoring, but that's not exactly what that feature was intended for, but it may work.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
tlyczko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If the hosts are set in the BIOS to start when power is restored, shouldn't this appropriately auto-start the VMs on the hosts??

I want to solve the same set of problems, though I don't yet quite have the host computers managed with our UPS etc. yet., only 2 UPSes have network cards in them...

Thank you, Tom

0 Kudos