VMware Cloud Community
Rnutter0
Contributor
Contributor

vCLI vs PowerCLI vs vMA ?

I am trying to learn more about how to work with vSphere and vCenter via command line.

Is vCLI best for vSphere/ESXi servers only ?

If you are running vCenter server, is PowerCLI the best way ?

I have also found vMA which is an appliance.  Is this the best of both worlds ?

Just trying to understand which is the best way to proceed.  I have been looking for a document that gives a clear direction and havent found anything.

Thanks,

Ron

0 Kudos
3 Replies
raog
Expert
Expert

The vSphere CLI provides perl based tools that give the same functionality as the ESX console commands.

If you have VC and want to script up ESX hosts as well, powerCLI works great. Plus there is a great community here if you do get stuck at anything Smiley Happy

From VMA, you can run commands against ESX / VCservers as if you are running commands on their shells. So stuff like esxli, esxcfg- commands etc can be run. Not powerCLI though.

What is the vSphere Management Assistant (vMA)? | VMware Support Insider - VMware Blogs

Regards

Girish

To Virtualization and beyond! PS::If you felt the answer as helpful, please mark it as helpful/answered so that it helps other users as well! Blog:: www.virtualtipsntricks.com
0 Kudos
kunaludapi
Expert
Expert

There is little correction, get-esxcli cmdlets are available on powercli for esxcli.

--------------------------------------------------------------- Kunal Udapi Sr. System Architect (Virtualization, Networking And Storage) http://vcloud-lab.com http://kunaludapi.blogspot.com VMWare vExpert 2014, 2015, 2016 If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
raog
Expert
Expert

Yup thats right Kunal.. however, I meant the VMA cant run powerCLI.

Regards

Girish

To Virtualization and beyond! PS::If you felt the answer as helpful, please mark it as helpful/answered so that it helps other users as well! Blog:: www.virtualtipsntricks.com
0 Kudos