VMware Cloud Community
allencrawford
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

obtain HBA firmware

I've been digging around trying to find if there's a way to grab the HBA (fiber-channel) firmware with PowerCLI. I haven't had any luck yet (also have been digging through the "VMware vSphere API Reference Documentation" and not having any luck there either. I see my NIC firmware and HP-specific firmware versions (SCSI controller, BIOS, etc.) from the HP CIM providers, but can't find my HBA's firmware (HP-branded Emulex LPe12000). Am I out of luck or just missing something? I'm guessing I can get it from the unsupported console (haven't tried, but am used to getting it from the /proc filesystem on ESX classic) but that's no fun as we don't enable (nor plan to) SSH on our ESXi 4 hosts.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

FC HBA firmware is not available via the vSphere APIs, there are some basic information such as the model, PCI bus the driver that's being used/etc. but that's about it.

http://www.vmware.com/support/developer/vc-sdk/visdk400pubs/ReferenceGuide/vim.host.HostBusAdapter.h...

If you want to see what that info looks like, take a look at this report and just search for "HBA": http://engineering.ucsb.edu/~duonglt/vmware/sample_vmware_health_report_standard.html

If CIM can see the right version/etc. You may want to look at querying from the CIM APIs to extract this information

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

VMware ESX/ESXi scripts and resources at:

Twitter: @lamw

VMware Code Central - Scripts/Sample code for Developers and Administrators

VMware Developer Comuunity

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

allencrawford
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yeah, that's the same HBA info I found when digging around. I checked some of the CIM stuff too and haven't seen it there. I'm kind of assuming that if it doesn't show up in the "Hardware Status" tab that it won't be in the CIM API either. Oh well, maybe HP will get around to adding it with version 1.3.

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

Yep, that's correct. If I don't see the information populated in the vSphere Client, then it's probably not available from CIM and the APIs

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

VMware ESX/ESXi scripts and resources at:

Twitter: @lamw

VMware Code Central - Scripts/Sample code for Developers and Administrators

VMware Developer Comuunity

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos